New owner

matt0677
matt0677 Posts: 5
edited October 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I recently bought a Specialized Rockhopper Comp on ebay, this one in fact:

unspecified.jpg

Can anybody tell me what year it is? I need to know the value for insurance purposes.

I'd also like some advice... The rear brakes are a bit spongey and the pads only have about 1mm friction material left. Do I just need to replace the pads or do I need the bleeding kit too?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Picture doesn't work for me. What year did the seller say it was?

New pads won't stop brakes being spongey.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Spongey brake lever do they go back to near the bars?

Yes I would say change the pads but the brakes could need a bleed first before changing them.

If you don't feel confident doing a brake bleed then take bike to local shop.
  • Thanks, the seller didn't know the year either, it was a spur of the moment eBay bid so a bit of a gamble really.

I'll try to fix the image link later, am on mobile at the mo and it's not working for me either.

It looks like special tools are required for bleeding the brakes... Shame as it's quite pricey. They're the standard Avid Juicy 3 brakes that come on these.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Epic bleed kits are good and cheap.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thank you, £12.99 for the bleed kit, that's better! Probably roughly what the shop would charge to do it. Ordered.

I fixed the pic I think.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Looks like a 2007 or 2008 to me, but the forks have been upgraded from Tora coil.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • That's great, thank you.
  • matt0677 wrote:
    Thank you, £12.99 for the bleed kit, that's better! Probably roughly what the shop would charge to do it. Ordered.

I fixed the pic I think.
    the epic bleed kit is great, my local bike shop (sherwood pines) charge £20+