Greggs

Redbaron1
Redbaron1 Posts: 116
edited October 2016 in The cake stop
Since when did they stop selling their stodgy pies and pasties hot? Stopped on th A1 and fancied a sausage and bean melt, cold congealed load of rubbish, the ex wife's heart was warmer. The server said i would have to pay vat if it was hot......I want to pay vat and have an edible product.

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Hot up here (Scotland). The only time they are cold is when they have been sitting on the counter for too long (which I suspect isn't great from a H&S point of view)
  • Redbaron1 wrote:
    Since when did they stop selling their stodgy pies and pasties hot? Stopped on th A1 and fancied a sausage and bean melt, cold congealed load of rubbish, the ex wife's heart was warmer. The server said i would have to pay vat if it was hot......I want to pay vat and have an edible product.

I think you are alone in going to Greggs for the quality rather than the price.
  • Redbaron1
    Redbaron1 wrote:

I think you are alone in going to Greggs for the quality rather than the price.

Quite possibly but it was a choice of that or Burger King heartburn
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    edited October 2016
    It came in a few years back when the Government said they (and other similar places) had to charge VAT on food that was hot.

IIRC it was only on food that they kept hot, and so pastie etc. that was straight out of the oven could be sold without the VAT, but if they put it into a warming cabinet (or heated it from cold) then the vat went on.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Capt Slog wrote:
    It came in a few years back when the Government said they (and other similar places) had to charge VAT on food that was hot.

IIRC it was only on food that they kept hot, and so pastie etc. that was straight out of the oven could be sold without the VAT, but if you put it into a warming cabinet (or heated it from cold) then the vat went on.

This must be the most stupid piece of legislation I have ever heard of... what's the rationale?
    left the forum March 2023
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Capt Slog wrote:

IIRC it was only on food that they kept hot, and so pastie etc. that was straight out of the oven could be sold without the VAT, but if you put it into a warming cabinet (or heated it from cold) then the vat went on.

This must be the most stupid piece of legislation I have ever heard of... what's the rationale?

You're looking for logic? from the UK Gov. ?

Best of luck with that.

here...
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... d-VAT.html

The older I get, the better I was.

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Capt Slog wrote:

I thought it was something to do with distinguishing between take-aways like Fish&Chips shops and supermarkets that sell cooked chickens? One group wasn't happy that the other had different rules maybe?
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I thought I read recently that Greggs have been removing the in-store bakery part of their business, and just selling stuff made off-site and shipped in. That and adding cafe seats to raise the tone.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Redbaron1
    I have only been into greggs a handful of times over the last few years, guess I must have just been lucky to get fresh pasties when I have been.