Top tube bag for external light battery?

joecamel
joecamel Posts: 81
edited October 2016 in Commuting general
Has anyone used a top tube bag for their external head-light battery?

I currently strap mine behind the head tube but it's a bit exposed to the elements, plus I have a spare battery I carry in the pannier. A top tube bag on paper seems to make sense.
Anyone tried it?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I hang mine off the stem. Little sandwich bag round the battery inside. Never let me down yet. Really not keen on stuff on my paintwork.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Topeak tribag works well.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I do this on my MTB - I originally strapped the battery to the frame in its own little bag but now put it in a top tube bag. Works perfectly: reduced cable run, nice and well-protected with the added benefit of using the bag for other stuff too, like my phone, wallet, garage door blipper, work access pass and/or snacks on longer rides. It stays put, even after some big offs. It's not pretty but it's effective. The only possible issue is getting the cable into the case - mine has a little 'weatherproof' cable exit gland for use with headphones; the light cable does not fit through it due to the size of the co-ax connector on the end. I just run the cable out between the two zip closers that close the top flap - this may not be perfectly weatherproof (but my battery pack is, so no biggie).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • figbat wrote:
    I do this on my MTB - I originally strapped the battery to the frame in its own little bag but now put it in a top tube bag. Works perfectly: reduced cable run, nice and well-protected with the added benefit of using the bag for other stuff too, like my phone, wallet, garage door blipper, work access pass and/or snacks on longer rides. It stays put, even after some big offs. It's not pretty but it's effective. The only possible issue is getting the cable into the case - mine has a little 'weatherproof' cable exit gland for use with headphones; the light cable does not fit through it due to the size of the co-ax connector on the end. I just run the cable out between the two zip closers that close the top flap - this may not be perfectly weatherproof (but my battery pack is, so no biggie).

Which case did you get pal?
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    One of these; a second generation one in medium I think, which fits the iPhone 5c but wouldn't take much bigger.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got a Deuter TT bag for similar reasons, holding a battery pack but for a bar cam on a 4 hour ride.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I took an old drinks bottle, inserted battery and packing to prevent rattle.

Recharge and power feed fed through the modified drinking nozzle and a shed load of insulation tape to water proof the screw lid.

I then insert into the drink holder and feed the power to the light. Sorted and in the dark you cannot see my handywork with the tape and it looks like a standard drink bottle, requires no special attachments etc. and found a use for the old drinks bottles that started to grow some form of new lifeforms. 8)
  • WeezySwiss wrote:
    I took an old drinks bottle, inserted battery and packing to prevent rattle.

Recharge and power feed fed through the modified drinking nozzle and a shed load of insulation tape to water proof the screw lid.

I then insert into the drink holder and feed the power to the light. Sorted and in the dark you cannot see my handywork with the tape and it looks like a standard drink bottle, requires no special attachments etc. and found a use for the old drinks bottles that started to grow some form of new lifeforms. 8)

I ended up going for the Deuter bag and it's great for the commuter bike.
    The bottle idea though is genius for MTB'ing. Brilliant idea.