Winter Training

doomanic
doomanic Posts: 238
edited February 2017 in Health, fitness & training
Winter is nearly upon us, the nights are drawing in and the mornings are close to the point that my motivation to commute vanishes. What do you guys do for winter training during the week?
I lodge during the week so a turbotrainer isn't an option

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Zwift at 5am
    Commute to work at 7am

Seeing that you can't use a turbo, looks like you will have to keep commuting :D
  • doomanic
    5am? What's that? :D
  • doomanic wrote:
    Indoor cycling. He's riding around his kitchen and living room.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    doomanic wrote:

Oh it's the perfect time of day .... Did you know at 5am, your wife doesn't have any questions or commands or complaints for you ? ... And if she does she prefers to wait until she is awake ... At 5am the kiddy doesn't want to play unicorns with you ..... At 5 am not even Everest want to sell you Windows

At 5am the world is happy to leave you slobe for a couple of hours without interruption !
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Go running instead? Less kit and time needed. It's different leg muscles but good work out cardiovascular wise.
  • doomanic
    fat daddy wrote:
    doomanic wrote:

Oh it's the perfect time of day .... Did you know at 5am, your wife doesn't have any questions or commands or complaints for you ? ... And if she does she prefers to wait until she is awake ... At 5am the kiddy doesn't want to play unicorns with you ..... At 5 am not even Everest want to sell you Windows

At 5am the world is happy to leave you slobe for a couple of hours without interruption !

Trust me, if my wife hears me up at 5am there'll be hell to pay! :shock:
    My kid is 17 so I'm unlikely to see him before midday!
  • Does anyone have a decent links to beginners turbo trainers please?

I haven't a clue who they work, but I can read up on that. Just wanted to see what sort of price they are at.
  • doomanic
    Aldi had one in their specials last week.
  • doomanic
    Scrap that, turns out it's crap.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Just carry on riding, a set of lights is under £25, job done.
  • doomanic
    Here's what I decided on;
    Monday: 30 mins plus last lap best effort on a loop round the estate I live on. Currently, that's 6 laps (8.5 miles) in about 33.5 minutes. The idea is to keep pushing until I do 7 laps then increase the time to 35 minutes plus last lap and so on.
    Tuesday: 30 day fitness plan (bodyweight exercises)
    Wednesday: as Monday
    Thursday: As Tuesday
    Friday: Rest (mainly because I have a 2.5 hour commute on a Friday evening)
    Saturday and Sunday: Fundays. Either a few hours of off-road fun or a few hours scuba diving on both days. Unless the long haired general has the day off and insists we go shopping or some other such hell.
  • Lucy.P
    Lucy.P Posts: 8
    Some easy reading 'off' season gym training advice given here... http://europeancyclingtours.com/2017/01/how-getting-in-the-gym-can-save-your-off-bike-season/
  • In winter,I prefer to go in for gym,because it is very easy for me to catch the cold,but I still need to keep fit)