Specialized Tarmac Fact 10R

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Anyone got one of these framesets in Spesh's Fact 10R carbon?

I am considering one for next year as the geometry is pretty good for me, but want to know what real views are on how they ride, comfort, stiffness, handling etc.

Completely understand that some will hate them as they are a mainstream brand and dislike anything as such, but I can get a good deal and i like how they look, so if the ride is good them it could be my next bike.
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I had a Fact 11R S Works Tarmac - I can't imagine a single, incremental digit from the marketing department would make much real world difference.
  • JesseD
    Imposter wrote:
    I had a Fact 11R S Works Tarmac - I can't imagine a single, incremental digit from the marketing department would make much real world difference.

As 11 is bigger than 10 it must be much better :lol:
  • I have ridden both, other than a very minor weight saving there is no discernible difference between the two.

I have owned/tested a fair few bikes and the current Tarmac is probably my favourite. It is incredibly stiff, out of the saddle you get a feeling of instant pick up and acceleration, especially on climbs. Prior to owning it, the one thing I thought might be a compromise due to the stiffness would be a lack of comfort, but have never noticed it, even on very bad road surfaces that you get in the UK. Handling it also very precise and the bike is stable descending at 50mph+.

It's all about personal choice but I would recommend it.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I really rate mine. The handling is superb. The one thing I do dislike is the proprietary headset bearings. They are a weak point (particularly the bottom section) and can only be bought from Specialized for circa £40-50. If you are buying second hand drop the forks and inspect them.
  • JesseD
    Bike will be brand new and from an LBS who is affiliated to our club so will be cheaper than RRP hopefully, I hadn't looked at the tarmac too much until recently but the more I looked at it the more I liked it.

Thanks for the heads up about the bearings, do no other bearing manufacturers make bearing to match such as Aire Bearings etc?
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    JesseD wrote:
    Bike will be brand new and from an LBS who is affiliated to our club so will be cheaper than RRP hopefully, I hadn't looked at the tarmac too much until recently but the more I looked at it the more I liked it.

Thanks for the heads up about the bearings, do no other bearing manufacturers make bearing to match such as Aire Bearings etc?

Nope, I searched high low and even visited a big internet retailer who is local to me with the bearing and they couldn't find them.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Are they cartridge bearings?

Edited to add: Interesting, the Specialized website lists the following:

1-1/8" upper, size-specific lower, stainless steel cartridge bearings, 8mm carbon cone spacer, w/ 25mm carbon spacers