4iiii vs Stages

YellaBelly
YellaBelly Posts: 130
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking at the above mentioned power meters and looking for advice on which is best. From reviews the 4iiii seems decent enough, with very little difference between it and the Stages meters. The biggest difference is the price being £80 lighter for the 4iiii.

Anyone with first hand experience? Is the 4iiii a decent unit or is the Stages meter worth the extra cash?

Thank you for any advice!

Comments

• neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    I`ve been researching powermeters recently and tbh can`t see any difference between the two other than that the 4iiii is cheaper.

It`s most likely the route I will go down when I invest in a powermeter especially when I can send my DA left crank off and have the meter installed instead of (as with stages) buying a new crank arm!!

Have a read of this:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/09/powe ... ition.html
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I was told 4iii is 1% accuracy as opposed to Stages 2% and that you can programme it to tell it if you have a L/R imbalance.

I don't think either of those are going to make much difference unless you've established over a long period of time you have a major imbalance.

Had they been around at the same time I'd probably have gone for the 4iii because it's cheaper but I've been happy with my gen 2 Stages other than a couple of power spikes when setting off which has messed up my power curve on strava.
  • not an expert but It think they are very similar... from what I read around. Let us know how you go!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I 've had the Stages for 399 for a fair few months... all weathers .. a it's on the commuter/ trainer.. its been pitch perfect.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    my stages g2 has just started dropping its signal.not much of a problem on the road but its annoying as hell when using trainer road. Ive just got in touch with support so ill see how it goes.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    john1967 wrote:
    my stages g2 has just started dropping its signal.not much of a problem on the road but its annoying as hell when using trainer road. Ive just got in touch with support so ill see how it goes.

I found them very helpful. Took a bit of email tennis with pics of the inside of the meter and the rubber seal etc. I think my problem was with my old garmin 500. I got a new 810 from Aldi and it has been drop out free.

I hope this helps.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    john1967 wrote:

I found them very helpful. Took a bit of email tennis with pics of the inside of the meter and the rubber seal etc. I think my problem was with my old garmin 500. I got a new 810 from Aldi and it has been drop out free.

I hope this helps.

Yep my drop outs are on an 810 and a USB ant+ laptop. I'll see how it goes. No contact yet.
  • smoggysteve
    I did see a clip on youtube of someone who had reverse mounted his out in front garmin mount so the head unit had a clearer line of sight to the meter. It may he worth a look at doing. Stages will ask you all sorts of questions about setup of your bike. I had to send about 8 pics to them plus raw data files showing the drops. May be worthwhile getting the info now as the are bound to request it. Pics of inside the meter with battery removed. The seal and the battery door showing the lugs intact too. A pic from your pov while riding of the location of the head unit to the crank arm and anything that may cause interference ie water bottles or towels on the bars when on a turbo.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    JGSI wrote:
    I 've had the Stages for 399 for a fair few months... all weathers .. a it's on the commuter/ trainer.. its been pitch perfect.

Where did you get a stages for 399? (if you don't mind me asking)
  • smoggysteve
    Ajkerr73 wrote:
    JGSI wrote:

Where did you get a stages for 399? (if you don't mind me asking)

Www.mantel.com used to be the best place before the pound to euro went rats.