After Over 25 Years....

Snakebite the 2nd
Snakebite the 2nd Posts: 452
edited October 2016 in Commuting chat
After over 25 years of cycling to work I am hanging up my shorts.

Change in circumstances (divorce) means I am now renting about 25 miles away from work.

I will endeavour to make the odd trip by bike, but practicality means I am unable to cycle all the time (seeing the kids etc).

I shall miss it, but I won't miss the increased traffic and the people trying to kill me.
It's a mixed bag of emotions I can tell you. :cry: :?

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    ah that sucks ... 25 years though is a good innings, that a fair amount of watts generated.

Funny thing wives ..... they get in your way of cycling when you are with them ..... then you get divorced, and somehow they still manage to get in the way of your cycling !
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    :( .
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    sad to hear that fella but dont write it off yet, life is a funny old thing with surprises around every corner, you just never know what could be next.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I'm pretty sure that 25 year old shorts are grounds for divorce.

Hope things work out well for you.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Sorry to hear that on both fronts.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Really sorry to hear that. Keep up the riding for fun, it'll help keep your mind clear.
  • Thanks for the comments guys!

I'll keep riding for fun, in fact I'm moving to the coast so it'll be a whole new world to explore and the paths along the seafront are traffic free.

It might even turn out for the better!

(Oh and don't worry about the divorce, it's completely amicable and we are both better off so it's not at all bad!)
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Sorry 'bout the divorce.

25 miles? Buy a motorbike. I did. Just as much fun. You can go faster and further. It's just another indulgence. As I tell my OH, at least it's not a bloody Porsche!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    navt wrote:
    As I tell my OH
    Too soon...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    coriordan wrote:
    Really sorry to hear that. Keep up the riding for fun, it'll help keep your mind clear.

This.

Hope it works out ok.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."