Genesis Day01 upgrade

22stu
22stu Posts: 69
edited October 2016 in Road general
Since buying a new bike my old Genesis Day01 has sat in my shed unused - thinking of 'beefing it up' slightly to make it a little more usable over rougher terrain, like a CX bike I'm guessing.

The spec when new was as below however now runs Bontrager flat bars - what do the masses think I should do? Wheels / tyres and leave it at that?

Frame: 6061 Double Butted Heat treated Aluminium
Fork: Genesis Carbon
Gears: Shimano FD-440 front and Shimano Tiagra rear derailleurs
Shifters: Shimano SL-R445
Crankset: Shimano Tiagra 50/39
Brakes: Shimano R450 Dual Pivot V brakes with Shimano BL-R550 levers
Wheels: Shimano R500 Wheelset
Tyres: Continental Ultra Race Folding 700x 23c
Handlebar: Carbon 560mm
Stem: Genesis Alloy A head
Saddle: Genesis RD2 with Cr-Mo rail
Seatpost: Carbon 27.2mm

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    It might be useful to say what your new bike is, and some indication of why you aren't riding the Genesis?

Quite honestly, if it is running 700x23 tyres now and standard tiagra brakes, then you aren't going to be able to get much bigger tyres on it, so if your ambition is to get something that is comfortable with a bit of light off roading you're best selling the Genesis off to someone as a winter commuter and getting something else for yourself.

I did have a genesis day one disc (2014) (which after being written off in a crash I replaced with something very similar) and use it for off roading and poor weather commuting but it is single speed, has disk brakes, and ample clearance for 700x35 tyres - in short it sounds very different from the spec you've given.
  • 22stu
    TimothyW wrote:
    It might be useful to say what your new bike is, and some indication of why you aren't riding the Genesis?

Quite honestly, if it is running 700x23 tyres now and standard tiagra brakes, then you aren't going to be able to get much bigger tyres on it, so if your ambition is to get something that is comfortable with a bit of light off roading you're best selling the Genesis off to someone as a winter commuter and getting something else for yourself.

I did have a genesis day one disc (2014) (which after being written off in a crash I replaced with something very similar) and use it for off roading and poor weather commuting but it is single speed, has disk brakes, and ample clearance for 700x35 tyres - in short it sounds very different from the spec you've given.

Be a shame to get rid, been a good steed. Doubt it has a great value anymore anyway....

Replaced it with a Giant Defy 1 Disc.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I find 28mm puncture resistant tyres on my Genesis CdF are good enough for winter and off road use . They are likely to fit your wheels.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The thing to do is certainly to put some bigger tyres on it - 700x28 will probably fit, and might be adequate for what you have in mind, but for off road it quite simply is the bigger the better, which is why I said you'd probably be better starting with a new bike.

I wouldn't bother changing the wheels - the frame/brake clearance will be what limits you, not the wheel capacity.

As you've said, resale value for your bike is probably limited, so it might be a case of keeping it as a spare for times when your good bike is being worked on or is broken. Your new bike is in a lot of ways very similar to your old bike, so it's understandable that you're struggling to find a role for your old one.

Could you convert it back to drop handlebars? That might be a more meaty project for you to get into!
  • 22stu
    TimothyW wrote:
    The thing to do is certainly to put some bigger tyres on it - 700x28 will probably fit, and might be adequate for what you have in mind, but for off road it quite simply is the bigger the better, which is why I said you'd probably be better starting with a new bike.

I wouldn't bother changing the wheels - the frame/brake clearance will be what limits you, not the wheel capacity.

As you've said, resale value for your bike is probably limited, so it might be a case of keeping it as a spare for times when your good bike is being worked on or is broken. Your new bike is in a lot of ways very similar to your old bike, so it's understandable that you're struggling to find a role for your old one.

Could you convert it back to drop handlebars? That might be a more meaty project for you to get into!

I actually quite like the flat bars on it even though the geometry feels a little off.
    I may pick up a set of slightly larger tyres and keep the Schwalbe Marathon's as spares