Does anyone actually train....?

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
This forum section seems to be toppling over into "what kit/buying advice .." no big deal but there is a buyingadvice section already....

I was just wondering if people still setup their turbo in the kitchen,slot in the bike, put the laptop on the chair in front, fire up whatever training app, push button 3 on the fan and hit the intervals..?

I'm Spartacus is the reply most suited....

I'm in the 12 45 Zwift race today by the way

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    kitchen?

luxury

in the lockup, sufferfest, or maybe just mp3 player and a list of intervals
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Garage staring at a brick wall, fan, 2 bottles, towel, ipod and HRM.

OK so I have just ordered a smart trainer and plan on zwifting...
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Well I Zwift .... But it's so gamified with its graphics, online presence, racing etc etc ... That even though I use it everyday on top of any cycling, I don't see it as training

Even the FTP tests are like a game with the hoops to cycle through
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    JGSI wrote:
    This forum section seems to be toppling over into "what kit/buying advice .." no big deal but there is a buyingadvice section already....

I was just wondering if people still setup their turbo in the kitchen,slot in the bike, put the laptop on the chair in front, fire up whatever training app, push button 3 on the fan and hit the intervals..?

I'm Spartacus is the reply most suited....

I'm in the 12 45 Zwift race today by the way

Dont know what your talking about but can anyone help me choose a new trainer?
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Yep, in the kitchen, no fan though. I like it that way. Sometimes the tumble drier is on.

Like most, have a list of HIIT sessions and do no more than an hour at a time, 3 or 4 times a week now the nights are closing in.

Zwift would just be one distraction too many for me.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Spare room, fan on, music on, no zwift or owt like that just normal turbo trainer and hammer it for an hour.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Anyone doing the ZSUN chaingang Tuesday 7 15pm?
  • murf1480
    murf1480 Posts: 117
    In a garage with a fan, laptop and Tacx Neo using Trainerroad and Sufferfest. I would use Zwift but I have no internet in the garage.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    You do have a point, taking a quick straw-poll of the total post counts of the various sub-forums on here, Training Fitness and Health is bang in the middle at 9th out of 17, but is only really beating the niche sub-forums such as Vintage Bikes, Track and Cyclocross. It would appear from the stats that talking about buying stuff is approximately 3 times more interesting than actual training, and blathering on about the pro's about 5 times.

1. Pro Race  - 568934 posts
    2. Road Buying Advice  - 344429 posts
    3. The Bottom Bracket  - 343328 posts
    4. Road Beginners  - 274362 posts
    5. Workshop  - 223838 posts
    6. Road General  - 181226 posts
    7. The Cake Stop  - 123133 posts
    8. Tours, Routes, Audaxes & Organised rides  - 117415 posts
    9. Training, Fitness and Health  - 117358 posts
    10. Your Road Bikes  - 56449 posts
    11. Campaign  - 25020 posts
    12. Amateur Race  - 24532 posts
    13. Cyclocross  - 8528 posts
    14. Track  - 3974 posts
    15. Indoor Training and Turbo forum  - 3861 posts
    16. Vintage bikes forum  - 1016 posts
    17. Womens cycling forum  - 812 posts
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Nope. I really don't see the point of Turbo training. I very occasionally use the Turbo to check the set up of a bike after a big mechanical overhaul. It would have to be a very cold day in hell, to get me to sit on a bike, and not actually go anywhere. I suppose it could be good if you are recouperating after an injury, but that's about it.
  • You do have a point, taking a quick straw-poll of the total post counts of the various sub-forums on here, Training Fitness and Health is bang in the middle at 9th out of 17, but is only really beating the niche sub-forums such as Vintage Bikes, Track and Cyclocross. It would appear from the stats that talking about buying stuff is approximately 3 times more interesting than actual training, and blathering on about the pro's about 5 times.

Keeping in mind that the Indoor Training forum was only created a few weeks ago.
    Nope. I really don't see the point of Turbo training. I very occasionally use the Turbo to check the set up of a bike after a big mechanical overhaul. It would have to be a very cold day in hell, to get me to sit on a bike, and not actually go anywhere. I suppose it could be good if you are recouperating after an injury, but that's about it.

Then you're on the wrong sub forum.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I use a Wattbike at the Gym but will ride the bike unless it's physically impossible to do so.I find Turbos boring so will always choose to ride.
    I have a Turbo that is currently set up in the livingroom for my son to use.He broke his arm in France 8 weeks ago and has been told that although the Pot is off he has to wait another 6 weeks before he can participate in any sport whatsover due to the "unstable" nature of the break.Being 8 I can't really see him losing much fitness in 12 weeks but he really misses his bike so the Docs gave Turbo sessions the all clear and he does 20-30mins most days 8) The break was bad timing really as he had to miss his first Sportive and Triathlon and at least using the Turbo means he'll hopefully be OK when his CX/Tri training resumes in 4 weeks 8)
  • buckmulligan
    Keeping in mind that the Indoor Training forum was only created a few weeks ago.

Indeed, I don't really see the point of it seeing as the Training, Fitness and Health sub-forum was a perfectly good place for those discussions; nobody goes on the turbo trainer for the scenery!
  • fat daddy
    nobody goes on the turbo trainer for the scenery!

erm :oops:

Top of the mountain is very pretty though in Watopia ... I like doing the reverse loop and as you descend into the cloud and it starts to snow its pretty cool
  • fat daddy wrote:
    Top of the mountain is very pretty though in Watopia ... I like doing the reverse loop and as you descend into the cloud and it starts to snow its pretty cool

When they were doing the mountain course there was a lot of discussion as to how the descents will be handled, as descending for several minutes on a turbo would be boring right? Well that proved unfounded; as you say the reverse mountain descent is as enjoyable a descent as any in real life and the scenery is pretty good too! It's excellent after having slogged up the mountain. Although my favourite part is when you turn left out of the castle and head towards the village and you have views over old Watopia.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    You do have a point, taking a quick straw-poll of the total post counts of the various sub-forums on here, Training Fitness and Health is bang in the middle at 9th out of 17, but is only really beating the niche sub-forums such as Vintage Bikes, Track and Cyclocross. It would appear from the stats that talking about buying stuff is approximately 3 times more interesting than actual training, and blathering on about the pro's about 5 times.

Then you're on the wrong sub forum.

The point of turbo training... it creates a very similar training stimulus to road cycling. Also very controllable allowing structured sessions that can be difficult to achieve on the road. This is stating the very, very obvious.

Using a turbo to set a bike up... hmm. I wouldn't personally, but people are different. I find that my bike feels very different on a static trainer than the real road. There was a thread on this and I am not alone. Others also report that they set their saddle lower on a static.
  • fat daddy
    Yeah, my saddle is lower on the trainer ... Feels perfect, but get out on the road and it feels like I am sitting inside the bike and I need to raise the saddle

I thought it was me being odd
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Interesting - I always set my bike up the same on the turbo, road or rollers - am I the odd one out here ? Any idea why you feel better with a lower saddle height on the trainer.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • If I can't get out on the road or mountain bike then I use my turbo which is in the attic (an old direct drive elite). I have a wooden board over the banister where my laptop sits. Either have sufferfest videos playing or old TDFs playing. Also the cd player blaring out some Iron Maiden and the fan spinning away.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992

Or those of us who have 3 kids to look after and can't go out, so use the turbo when they're in bed...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • fat daddy
    Any idea why you feel better with a lower saddle height on the trainer.

I guess I spend more time on my feet and hands when I ride on the road, so that might raise my body up so I lift the saddle to meet it ?

I definately spend lots more time in the drops and on the hoods when I ride on the road

And then there is the continual wind pushing you back in the real world

So I guess the 3 different body positions lend themselves to a higher seat for me

Where as on the turbo I spend s lot more time with my weight on the saddle
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    In the shed.
    Tacx neo and large telly.
    Zwift for a general hoon about.
    Trainerroad for structured training. Just starting sweet spot base again.

Will commute or ride at weekend whenever possible but work is mental at the moment and cycling between offices isnt doable.
  • buckmulligan
    I think the lateral movement of the bike and your upper body (to balance) out on the road probably contribute to this effect by adding 'reach' to your pedal stroke. When you take that away on the turbo and maintain a more solid position, suddenly the bottom of your pedal stroke feels a stretch; i.e as much as you think you're maintaining a solid position out on the road and keeping your hips level, you probably aren't.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    fat daddy wrote:
    Any idea why you feel better with a lower saddle height on the trainer.

I guess I spend more time on my feet and hands when I ride on the road, so that might raise my body up so I lift the saddle to meet it ?

I definitely spend lots more time in the drops and on the hoods when I ride on the road

And then there is the continual wind pushing you back in the real world

So I guess the 3 different body positions lend themselves to a higher seat for me

Where as on the turbo I spend s lot more time with my weight on the saddle

I agree, these are likely reasons. Also, with the bike locked in a fixed position, I wonder whether there are small movements of the bike throught the pedal stroke that can't happen. Perhaps varies person to person.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Interesting - I always set my bike up the same on the turbo, road or rollers - am I the odd one out here ? Any idea why you feel better with a lower saddle height on the trainer.
    You are not alone, I have the same set up on the road bikes and the turbo bike.
  • I try to keep my road and turbo bike the same, as much as I can. But I do hear others talking about having a slightly different setup. Mostly because you don't realise how much the movement of air is pushing you up and backwards outside, which you don't get inside, even with a good fan.