Scott genius 750 2017

Kawasaki-boy
Kawasaki-boy Posts: 2
edited January 2017 in MTB beginners
Hi all,i am a new in this braket to have a fully suspention bike after a looong time,i want to start again cycling.Some friends told to buy a full suspenstion one cause its better,i want too you use it for work and weekends for rough terrain like offroad hehe.is the Scott genius 750 good 2017 ?or is there other bikes with the same price.thanks,i appritiate your help alot.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    150mm travel is a bit of overkill for commuting and a bit of like offroad. Unless you commute down the Alps.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Full suspension is not better than a hardtail. It's different.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Well, I have a Scott Genius M.C.10 (from back when Scott also made the R.C. Bikes (if you're interested, the "M" stands for "Marathon", the "R" stands for "Race" and both "C"'s stand for "Concept")) and it's been absolutely brilliant - I used to go down to Glentress every weekend and it was fantastic round there - in fact, I got into mountain-biking when I went to Glentress and hired a Genius. Scott stopped making the shorter-travel "RC" models a few years ago and dropped the "M.C." from the name. It's nice to have the option of locking-out the rear suspension (of course, newer models have "Twinloc" where you can lock-out front and rear suspension simultaneously) which saves you a bit of effort when you're covering fairly flat ground, or if you ever use it on the roads (I used mine to commute to and from work every day).
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There are lots of alternatives at the same price, many of them are better.
    Unless you're doing some fairly extreme riding, you won't want an enduro bike like the Scott. Something like a Giant Anthem would be much better.
  • As I said, the Genius is fine for using on the road because of its' lockable suspension - now that it has Twinloc fitted, which allows you to lock-out both front and rear suspension, it will be even better for riding on roads/canal toepaths. T.B.H., I used my MC10 to commute to work every day (I live in Edinburgh, and my commute was about four miles, each way) and it was absolutely great - of course, using a two-thousand pound marathon bike to commute on may well have been overkill, but that's just how I roll ;) ...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    OP hasn't been back since his first post, so I assume a lack of interest.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools