Tacx Vortex Smart - Cylinder\Tyre pressure setup so it doesn't slip\squeak.

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,572
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Evening all,

trying to get my Vortex Smart setup, had a Elite Fluid one before, where the riders weight just kept the wheel on the roller.

This one is new to me, as in you set a dial at the back, and wind it in towards the tyre, and then it has a lever which brings the roller towards the tyre so that it touches.

I used to run the tyre at 100psi, so have done the same for this one, but wasn't sure how to approach this one.

I hopped on and gave it a spin up, and it feels like it is slipping a bit. and also squeaking a bit.
Forgot to say it is a dedicated turbo tyre (But not too worn), same as I used on the other one.

I'm slightly concerned about pushing the tyre too hard against the roller, and a look at the manual seemed inclusive, I was hoping it might say something like 'turn the dial x times once the roller is in contact with the tyre' but all I can see is a quick start guide.

I'm hoping to carry out an ftp test on it at the weekend, so need to get it set up properly in time for that - so am pondering whether I should try and wind the roller\cylinder in so it is making an even firmer contact with the tyre, and or drop or increase the tyre pressure.

Anyone with one of these care to share the secret of how they run their setup?

I guess this doesn't have to be a smart trainer, anyone with a turbo where it locks onto the wheel rather than a rider weight one.

Thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    Use the Tacx app on your iPhone to calibrate it.
  • Yup. Tyre pressure obviously depends on the tyre. 120psi for the blue tacx trainer tyre for me. Increase the contact between roller and tyre until it doesn't slip when you sprint, then calibrate with the app. Once it's set up the first time you're done as long as tyre pressure is maintained and you don't unmount the bike from the trainer.

FTP test won't be worth jack without calibration anyway.

EEM
  • daniel_b
    Cheers gents, wasn't aware of the app (have just installed the android version) and will give that a go later.

I am assuming it's the Tacx Utility app I need?

I did carry out a calibration of sorts on trainerroad, but not sufficient on it's own I guess.

Looks like I may need to up the tyre pressure too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Yes, it's the Utility. It's a simple spin down test that ensures the contact between wheel and roller allows accurate measurements from the power meter in the Vortex - it's well described here;

http://zwiftblog.com/calibrating-your-t ... tex-smart/

The Vortex Smart is great for Zwift by the way. Almost looking forward to winter turbo work exploring the new routes they've set up.

EEM
  • daniel_b
    Yes, it's the Utility. It's a simple spin down test that ensures the contact between wheel and roller allows accurate measurements from the power meter in the Vortex - it's well described here;

http://zwiftblog.com/calibrating-your-t ... tex-smart/

The Vortex Smart is great for Zwift by the way. Almost looking forward to winter turbo work exploring the new routes they've set up.

EEM

Thanks for the confirmation, sounds like it should be a piece of cake then, might try it tonight if homelife permits.

I am interested in Zwift, but am signed up to TR for the mo, which I was happy with for the trial month, so will see how that goes.
    Does Zwift have similar training plans to TR that you can follow?

EDIT: Just found this quite useful article: http://thewannaberacer.com/blog/trainer-road-vs-zwift/
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • All you need to know about zwift here -

http://www.titaniumgeek.com/cycling/zwi ... g-updates/

Training plans available, but just riding around hitting the climbs hard and attacking the sprints is good fun as well.

EEM
  • daniel_b
    Thanks MG, will take a look see :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Thanks chaps, used the Tacx utility yesterday. Wound the dial in a bit more, and carried out the calibration. Result was slightly to the left of centre inbetween the two lines, so happy with that, and felt ok, if still a bit squeaky out of the saddle.

Then carried out the trainer road calibration too, tweaked my cleat position, and all ready to go.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    100psi and 3.5 full turns from touching works for me. Puts me bang in the centre of the calibration. (normal tyre not turbo tyre)