How good is my bike?

Phantomous
Phantomous Posts: 7
edited October 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

I recently got a Gary Fisher Big Sur 2006, it's an XC mountain bike (hardtail) that retailed for £1,100. I just want to know how good it is to this day, on a scale of 1-10. Can I take it to a local trail and do some harsh riding? e.g. small jumps and ride fast across roots and rocks without buckling the wheels? It's insanely light btw.

Here's a link to the specs of the bike:
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -sur-9282/

So, what are my limits when riding this bike? Is it still considered a GOOD bike?

Comments

• schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    You answered the question in your post, its an xc bike. I wouldn't go taking it down any DH/FR trails.

Its not like because its from 2006 its going to be obsolete. Just replace any worn parts.

As long you ride smooth the likelihood of damaging it is slim.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think it might be more to do with your limits than the bikes ? If its in good nick it is a very capable bike.
    How much offroad have you done ?

If you crash it then yeah you might buckle a wheel - but in nornal offroad use - you'll be OK.

(anything can buckle with a big enough hit - but then I'd be more worried about me than the bike)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The specs on the review seem a bit confused. Say RS Duke XC forks, look like Manitou to me, and the shock is given as a Fox Float RP23, which on a hardtail is a bit wrong.

But I really rate Fisher designs, even under Trek ownership. I even ride a modern one badged as a Trek.

I do still regularly use a Kona Explosif. 1996, with lightweight stuff (XTR etc) with 65mm travel, and although steep downs get interesting, it handles the rough stuff fine.

A well made lightweight wheel will handle things better than an average heavy one, especially if you land light and pick lines.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    The specs on the review seem a bit confused. Say RS Duke XC forks, look like Manitou to me, and the shock is given as a Fox Float RP23, which on a hardtail is a bit wrong.

But I really rate Fisher designs, even under Trek ownership. I even ride a modern one badged as a Trek.

I do still regularly use a Kona Explosif. 1996, with lightweight stuff (XTR etc) with 65mm travel, and although steep downs get interesting, it handles the rough stuff fine.

A well made lightweight wheel will handle things better than an average heavy one, especially if you land light and pick lines.

Yeah, forgot to mention that the specs on there are a little messed up. The forks are actually Manitou R7 Super 100mm on mine. Has Deore XT gearing and Shimano SLX brakes.

basically, all I want to know whether this bike is bad, good, or decent.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Compared to Toys R Us bike shaped object it's excellent.
    Compared to a 2017 Santa Cruz/Nicolai/ etc it's probably not great.

It was a good bike at the time and will still be decent if everything still works well.

Everything is relative.

For XC, small jumps and drops it will be fine. Massive gnarly DH rock gardens might kill you. But depending on your skill you might live.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My current bike is a 2006 frame, as was my previous hardtail.

The only component that has improved significantly since 2006 are the forks.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks guys.