new build 27.5+ 29er

method7
method7 Posts: 13
edited October 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello Im just venturing into a new build using a 29" Hardtail frame and I want to use the bike with both 27.5+ and 29" wheel sets but I am struggling to find forks that specify that this is possible - I presume any 29" boost 15x110 will do the job?

i am thinking of 2017 FOX 34 29" 120mm float factory 15QRx110.

Im sure there will a whole bundle more questions in the pipeline so your combined expertise in this are is much appreciated.

M7 :D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is the frame wide enough to take 27.5+ tyres without fouling the stays? If it's a 29er frame it's doubtful.

Yes you just need 27.5+ forks and a 29 will fit fine as long as you don't go mad on size.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • method7
    Thanks Rookie,

As suspected - the rear yoke is a little narrow but a 2.8 should be fine.

I picked up a 29" Crank Brothers cobalt 3 wheel-set so the 27.5+ might be on ice for a bit.... couldn't resist at 50% off
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If it's not too late, send the wheels back. There's a good reason why they're heavily discounted. The hubs are poorly sealed and eat bearings. Freehubs are weak and impossible to get replacements. Rims are made of cheese and spokes are weak and difficult to get replacements. Other than that they're good!
    Like all Crank Bros kit it's very much a case of form over function.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    any fork designed for 27.5+ will work with a 29er wheel. Nothing wrong with 27.5+ up front and 29er rear. I dont even think crank brothers wheels look good. I rarely see them in the shop maybe because they fall apart while the customer is riding to me. It may not be the sealing on there hubs that leads to short bearing life as many good hubs rely on the seals on the bearings alone but it maybe axle flex or bearing seat deformation or other technical issues that cause early bearing wear. I have seen hubs where the the bearings fall out when the end caps are removed i.e the bearing seat is oversized for the bearing. When buying wheels always check out spares availability.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • method7
    oh crap, I have some candy 11 pedals on my brompton, you can imagine they get hammered and as yet show no signs of unusual wear (two years - the original pedals only lasted a year).

When the wheels arrived and I got to give them a good eyeball, I did wonder about getting spokes.

ok i will think about returning them - can you guys recommend a good set of 27.5+ wheels - or would I be better off getting some made up? i cant see that many plus size rims on 27.5 wheel sets and to be honest there doesn't seem to be a huge choice in 27.5 rims over 25mm wide. im thinking 40-45mm would be better... ?

I haven't run tubeless tyres before so the crank brothers wheels set seems like a no fuss solution.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Anything but crank bros really. A quick Google will show up plenty of problems with them.
    If Superstar make 27.5+ get some from them. It's a size which hasn't really sold well in the UK, it's better suited to drier countries so spares availability is pretty crap and expensive.
  • method7
    Ok so i contacted Crank Brothers and they directed me to the UK distributor extrauk.co.uk - they were very helpfull and provided part numbers but wouldnt supply any parts. I then lost interest and confidence - I Like Crank Brothers stuff but it concerns me there seems to be a big failing in their after market support.

I sent the wheels back :-(

Ordered some 27.5 40mm DT SWISS rims on Hope hubs from my local shop - should land next week :-) very excited - build progress on instagram @method7

many thanks for your experiences :-)
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's for the best. Crank Bros kit is definitely style over function.