new frame with defect.

Supperap
Supperap Posts: 22
edited October 2016 in MTB general
Just received my new carbon frame, but there is a possible defect (look at the picture with zoom). What do you think?

20161002_175436.jpg

20161002_175436_new.jpg

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Nothing wrong with that, 90% of carbon frames I've seen have been similar. It's just the way they're made and I really wouldn't worry about it.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I'd contact them and at least get it documented so if there is a problem in the future you can do something about it. Keep/print all the emails you send/receive
  • Okay thanks, I will definitely give the bike shop a Call.

And maybe it is not a problem, but it is funny that alu/steel frames have better finish than that - but I also have a Look 996 carbon frame, and that have fantastic finish (top dollar). I also have a BMC carbon frame, and that too have fantastic finish (even better than Look). But maybe it is normally for a Scott 710 frame?

I will hope the shop will send me a new frame or at least give 200 euro discount.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's not really a defect. It's fairly normal. You won't even see it once the headset is in.
    It's incredibly unlikely they'll replace it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I blame Wiggle (for those who remember the thread that started that!).

Do you want a nice finish on your lightweight carbon frame that adds another 150-200g, or do you want the lightweight? As noted it's not a defect its just how carbon frames are made.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The bike shop will replace the frame or give me discount (but only 30 euro). So I think it is more preferable to go for a replacement (it cost nothing for me).
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The lengths some people go to get what they think is right is extraordinary. No offense but you are utterly delusional to expect 200 Euros knocked off a bike for that. You should be glad they're offering to replace it because there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I genuinely think people just look for anything to get a bit of money off, you'll likely do more cosmetically the first time you ride it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The next frame will probably look the same anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Also another first time poster complaining about something.

The bike looks fine to me.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Supperap wrote:
    The bike shop will replace the frame or give me discount (but only 30 euro). So I think it is more preferable to go for a replacement (it cost nothing for me).
    I'm with you.....ignore the so called wannabe "experts" on here, if there's nothing wrong the why is the manufacturer giving you a new frame?? Not saying it's a defect but certainly a quality control issue - it's your money, you're entitled to enquire about a potential defect and I found they decide to give you another frame then it really is no one else's business.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I suspect the manufacturer won't be replacing it. The shop is probably just getting another in to swap it and this one will go back on sale.
    It's probably just easier than arguing.
  • #jgtr
    you are so right. Of course this is at least a cosmetic defect. The frame was on sale (2015 model) for about 900 euro. You can always speculate in, why a shop selling a 2015 model (sale). Maybe it come from scotts 2. sorting models or something else - I do not know. But I think the shop know something about this frame, so they where in defence in this case.

Anyway, I decided to keep the frame for 100 euro discout. I can live with a cosmetic defect (but there is still scotts garantie on the frame)