Keeping lockouts locked..

snakey_75
snakey_75 Posts: 33
edited October 2016 in MTB general
Might be a brainless question! I have front and rear lockouts on my bike, when I'm commuting to work I keep the lockouts locked and then when I'm done, unlock them. Question is, if I leave them locked for a long period of time, will it do them any damage long-term? Cheers!

Comments

• Yes, of course it will.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    How? Lack of use??
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on what sort of lockout is fitted to your units, mechanical or hydraulic?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Yes, of course it will.

Very informative answer...
  • I only have front lock out (mechanical) and always release it when storing the bike, I figure that it may stretch the cables
    if stored taut?
  • MugenSi wrote:
    Yes, of course it will.

Very informative answer...

I was thinking the same thing!
  • mugensi
    Anyone care to elaborate on why the lock-outs shouldn't be left in the locked position? I personally cant seen any reason not too, there is no pressure on the forks when the bike isn't being used and so its not like they're in a compressed state.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On a mechanical lockout your more likely to get rust forming and locking in solid if you leave it on all the time, riding over rough ground with it locked can create damage due to the shock inputs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers everyone... (think I've started a bit of a debate on this one lol!!) More info is required I think. Front shocks are Rockshox Recon (SL I think - air sprung), rear is Suntour Raidon - air sprung with hydraulic rebound). The longest I've left them locked is maybe a day or two (over the weekend), but normally I do unlock when I'm finished biking, nothing that anyone would call a long period but asking anyway! Cheers!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    snakey_75 wrote:
    Cheers everyone... (think I've started a bit of a debate on this one lol!!) More info is required I think. Front shocks are Rockshox Recon (SL I think - air sprung), rear is Suntour Raidon - air sprung with hydraulic rebound). The longest I've left them locked is maybe a day or two (over the weekend), but normally I do unlock when I'm finished biking, nothing that anyone would call a long period but asking anyway! Cheers!

do you ride your bike off road at all? or use a full suss just to commute?

I was told by tf tuned that locking my old coil sprung pikes out for long period of times will damage the forks. unfortunately I can't remember why. but I never lock my forks out now, just don't think of it.
  • welshkev... Full sus is mainly used for commuting when weather is bad, I do have a play in the mud now and again, although when it's sunny/dry I do have a Carerra hybrid..
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have just one word.

Why?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I have been riding my mega tr to work while weather is decent as I can go off road on the way back.

I've not had any issue so far with both locked out when on the road and then open them on the way back along some very bumpy canal towpaths that got destroyed in the floods we had a while back.
  • mugensi
    So despite all the answers given, no one actually knows if its recommended to unlock the front/rear suspension when a bike is not being used.