Bolt size - Propel seat post

Dan Walton
Dan Walton Posts: 147
edited October 2016 in Workshop
Just fitted a new saddle on my Propel and from fannying around adjusting it too much I've managed to round the bolt off that clamps the seat rails.

4EF91152-C470-40C0-8023-D1B4333405E4.jpg

It's the bolt on the left in the picture. Does anyone know what size bolt it is? I think it uses a 5 mm Allen key. It looks a bit special...

Ta!

Comments

• I did the same thing, don't think it's anything special.
    I just took one off another seat post I had lying around.

Geoff
  • geoffh73 wrote:
    I did the same thing, don't think it's anything special.
    I just took one off another seat post I had lying around.

Geoff

Cool, so it's just a normal searpost bolt. Are they M8?
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Take it into B&Q or wherever and size them up. Simple.
  • AK_jnr wrote:
    Take it into B&Q or wherever and size them up. Simple.

Thanks for your advice, but I'd rather not cut the old bolt out of my bike making it unrideable in the hope that I might find something suitable in B&Q.

I was rather hoping to order a nice Ti bolt that would be suitable and then swap it over.
  • If it is a 5mm Allen key I would of thought it would be a 4mm bolt. I would make sure you buy a better/stronger bolt to ensure you don't strip it again.
  • ifanthecat wrote:
    If it is a 5mm Allen key I would have thought it would be a 4mm bolt. I would make sure you buy a better/stronger bolt to ensure you don't strip it again.

If it's a 5mm Allen key doesn't that make it an M6 bolt? I got hold of an M5 bolt earlier and it's definitely bigger than that. I am probably going to go for Ti once I've figured what size I need!
    I'll bring the bike in and have a measure...
  • Sorry got it a**e about face. Maybe this might help:

http://www.thesitebox.com/Page/36/Metri ... Chart.aspx
  • Excellent, I think that confirms I have ordered the right size, I guess I'll know for sure when I try and fit it it!

Anyway, just for information, I've gone for a titanium M6x40 tapered Allen head bolt.
  • Just to close this out in case anyone searches in the future with the same question, the bolt I ordered is the correct one.