820 Navigation Pop Up

ian220476
ian220476 Posts: 164
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi
I recently picked up the new Garmin 820. Initial impressions are that I'm really pleased with it.

I'm missing a setting somewhere though and hoping someone can help.

On my old 800 i could load a course and be following it. I would have my data screens up and then as a turn or junction approached, the map screen would pop up and count me down to it, round it, then revert back to the data screens.

I found this useful as i travel around and the lanes have all kinds of weird junctions so the visual support is reassuring.

I can't seem to get this to happen on the 820. As a junction approaches a narrative at the top of the screen gives a countdown then just a left or right arrow. When the road has two or three angles of left at the junction, never sure which one to take so revert to the map screen or pick the wrong one. Really liked the pop up map.

What is the setting to make the map screen pop up when on data screens and then go back once the junction has been successfully navigated?

Thx
GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Try:-

Activity Profiles - xx Profile - Navigation - Map - Guide Text When Navigating

It's how my 810 is set up.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    ian220476 wrote:
    I can't seem to get this to happen on the 820. As a junction approaches a narrative at the top of the screen gives a countdown then just a left or right arrow. When the road has two or three angles of left at the junction, never sure which one to take so revert to the map screen or pick the wrong one. Really liked the pop up map.

What is the setting to make the map screen pop up when on data screens and then go back once the junction has been successfully navigated?

Thx
    The 820 does not do what you want unfortunately. That is one area where I think it is worse than the 800/810/1000.
  • You can have some data fields on screen with the map though. I normally only have two fields on, so have the same ones on when navigating.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    wongataa wrote:
    ian220476 wrote:

Thx
    The 820 does not do what you want unfortunately. That is one area where I think it is worse than the 800/810/1000.

Don't know how, but mine seems to do it? I usually have power data on screen and when a turn on a course comes up, the screen temporarily switches to the map. A short distance after the turn, it switches back to my power data.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    edited October 2016
    Mine doesn't do it - couldn't figure out why and concluded it wasn't a feature. Be interested to know if otherwise - it could be standard Garmin flakiness where no two identical models work in the same way!

VeloGPS on YouTube doesn't show it popping up - it's either or.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I think it depends on which format you save the course in either .gpx or .tcx, can't remember which was which though, trial and error...........
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Flasher wrote:
    I think it depends on which format you save the course in either .gpx or .tcx, can't remember which was which though, trial and error...........

I always save courses as gpx files
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    If you want turn by turn then you need a .tcx.
  • stevie63 wrote:

I've downloaded gpx to the 820 and got turn by turn directions. The tcx gives you the navigation cues that were put on there by the creator, gpx gives you them based on the maps in the device.
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    stevie63 wrote:

.gpx from various sources gives me full turn by turn.