Calling all Colnago connoisseurs. Good deal?

beak58
beak58 Posts: 142
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
RFXqZe.jpg

I'm after a retro Colnago as I love the look and history.
I have been offered the 90s Superissimo below for £550, is this a bargain/fair price/ripoff? (Photo above)

Im pretty ok with values etc. of modern kit but would appreciate some advice with this?

Many thanks in advance and thanks for reading, here goes -

"Just built up with new bottom bracket, Campagnolo cables and new tyres and tape, with vintage Campagnolo parts.

Colnago road frame from the early 90's (it is stamped 7 92 and 12 90)
Size - . 56cm (22 inch) centre to centre and 57cm (22.5 inch) centre to top
Top tube is 57cm centre to centre
Stem 3TTT Pro Chrome in Columbus tubing 12cm.
Handlebar 3TTT Super Competizione 42cm
Gipiemme Chronosprint alloy headset
Brakes - Campagnolo Veloce 9 speed brakes/shifters. Campagnolo Victory calipers (like record)
Chainset Campagnolo Chorus 170 mm 42/53t chainrings
Front mech Campagnolo Veloce 9 speed brazed on.
Rear mech Campagnolo Mirage 9 speed
Seatpin Campagnolo Athena 27.2
Bottom Bracket 102mm (fitted with Campagnolo grease)
Chain Campagnolo Record 9 speed
Cassette Campagnolo Chorus 9 speed.
Wheels Campagnolo Daytona (bombproof 9/10/11 speed compatible), Campagnolo Evolution rims by Ambrosio. 32/32 hole
Tyres Brand New Michelin Hi-Lite Bi-Synergic 700 x 23c.
Saddle Turbo - old and well worn, but very comfortable.
Campagnolo cables
Look Carbon Clipless pedals
Frame

Colnago Super road frame from the early 90's (it is stamped 7 92 and 12 90

Size is 56cm (22") centre to centre and 57 cm (just under 22.5") centre to top.
Top tube is 57cm (22.5") center to centre.

The forks are transferred Colnago and have the C and colnago emblem cutout on the head crown. The fork tips are chrome and marked 'brevetto colnago'. Forks are oval/round and they have spearpoint reinfoincing which is cut out.

The frame is in excellent condition and has transfers on top tube, seat tube and downtube. Colnago badge on head tube. It has Colnago emblem cutout on top of down tube lug, colnago cutout on top of seat stays, Colnago emblem cutout bottom bracket, and Colnago pressings under the chrome chainstays. The rear fork ends are marked 'brev campagnolo' and the frame number is '12 90' and is stamped on rhs. Bottom bracket numbering is 'a7 92'

700c wheel size
130 mm OLN so can use 8/9/10/11 speed.
brazing for front mech.
Concealed top tube brazings.
loops and stops for ergo levers (see photos)
single bottle cage brazings.
Campagnolo adjusters perfect.
Takes Italian bottom bracket 36 x 24t
Chrome is excellent on the 3/4 rear forks, and the front tips. Paintwork is very good and I will polish up before frame is sent out. Minor chips on bottom bracket (see photos) and mark where a rear tyre may have rubbed downtube at the back.
The bike is excellent condition and is ready to ride. Frame is an excellent example of a classic Colnago. There is a 2.5 inch mark on campagnolo right hand spider (see photo), where an axle spanner has slipped and caught the crank, otherwise everything is in super condition. Perfect for sportives, or classic ride."

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Nothing to get excited about - both the model and the price.
  • beak58
    beak58 Posts: 142
    Thanks I had started to suspect that from my frantic googling!
  • nochekmate wrote:
    Nothing to get excited about - both the model and the price.

You reckon? It'd be either Columbus SLX or Brain tubing - pretty nice tubing. Nice to get Campy hubs and rims, and while the groupset is a bit of a mix, if it's one of the Ultrashift Veloce levers they're still very good quality. Finishing kit is nice as well, if it fits.

Probably fairly priced given Colnago's brand worthiness. Not quite a bargain, but certainly not overpriced.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Might be worth popping over to Retrobike and seeing what they make of it. I suspect similar to the above in that it is a nice bike but not a bargain to be snapped up. It would look a little better finished with some Vittoria Open Corsa G+ tyres in plain black and tan.