Novice Club ten TT Training

Bozabyka
Bozabyka Posts: 252
I am new to time trialling and I want to concentrate on 10TTs.
I have been looking at training plans and Friels Bible.
No Turbo available have Rollers and good lights.
If my longest ride needs to be as long as my longest race that means I only need to ride ten miles.
So if this is the time of the year to get base miles in do I really need to be doing a lot of base miles?
Years ago I used to do a regular 25mile thrash and reguarly saw my times improve.
I have also stumbled across the idea of racing yourself fit.
Could I regular 2 x10 type training on my local 10TT course and expect to get better?
Or just a regular thrash over ten miles?
Would this lead to burn out before the race season?
I dont want a complicated training plan just some thing easy where I can train hard. Rather than try to remember what I should be doing.
I plan to use rollers to improve cadence and hills for strength and a longer ride on a Sunday.
Increasing interval type sessions gradually until race season.
Reducing interval sessions every third week to allow for recovery.
First race is Boxing Day then every week from April to August.
I am not a quick rider pb is under 30 on a sporting course so plenty of room for improvement.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bozabyka wrote:
    If my longest ride needs to be as long as my longest race that means I only need to ride ten miles

No, it doesn't work like that. You build your aerobic capacity by riding for considerably longer than that.
    Bozabyka wrote:
    First race is Boxing Day then every week from April to August.

Many people ride boxing day 10s in fancy dress, or hung over, or both - I really would not be using that event as a serious target.
  • There are lots of ways to improve your 10 time, building a big base is not a prerequisite to going fast. People are doing 18 minute 10's off 6 hours or less.

I'd advise working on your position, aero is king! It's no good pumping out 300W for 25 minutes on your road bike and only being able to do 10 minutes at that power in position. My training this year involved lots of Tempo, Sweet spot, threshold and hard intervals on less than 6 hours per week so don't just stick to one type of effort.

As an example, if you think about your average 10 mile TT course, it's not pan flat, it'll have ascents and descents, so being able to ride threshold then push above that, back to threshold, push again etc needs to be trained.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    People are doing 18 minute 10's off 6 hours or less.

There is hope for me after all :lol:
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    People are doing 18 minute 10's off 6 hours or less.

There is hope for me after all :lol:

Ha ha, if only time was the limiting factor! :lol:
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I was out at lunchtime today with a chap from work who rides in a club and we got onto the subject of TT's, he said there are guys in his club doing 16min 10mile TT's which is bloody good going.

He said one guy that coaches people gets them to ride at 30mph for a mile, then build to 2 miles at 30mph and so on. A 30mph av is 20mins for the 10 so thats going pretty hard.

I managed 29:39 for 10 miles today which is good going for me, done 12.7 miles in 37:54 with 3 road junctions we had to stop at, av 20.1mph. Im happy with that for a lunchtime blast.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Fudgey wrote:
    I managed 29:39 for 10 miles today which is good going for me, done 12.7 miles in 37:54 with 3 road junctions we had to stop at, av 20.1mph. Im happy with that for a lunchtime blast.

It's those damn rivets - they're slowing you down.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • fudgey
    I thought 20mph average was pretty good to be fair.

Ironically, i was on the winter bike and was intending on sorting out the mudguards (a bracket snapped) and refitting them tomorrow!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Fudgey wrote:
    I was out at lunchtime today with a chap from work who rides in a club and we got onto the subject of TT's, he said there are guys in his club doing 16min 10mile TT's which is bloody good going.

He said one guy that coaches people gets them to ride at 30mph for a mile, then build to 2 miles at 30mph and so on. A 30mph av is 20mins for the 10 so thats going pretty hard.

I some how doubt that there are guys doing 16 min tens as I believe that's faster than the comp record.
  • fudgey
    Well, this is what he said. Also that a couple of women have now gone sub 19 mins too. Just looked on the Chippenham wheelers website and it looks like its not been updated since 2011...jy
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • fudgey
    He chaperones for the delloite RAB so i doubt he is talking that much shite, unless he was not on about people from his club and was telling me the records of 10 mile TT's like in your link.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Fudgey wrote:
    He chaperones for the delloite RAB so i doubt he is talking that much shite, unless he was not on about people from his club and was telling me the records of 10 mile TT's like in your link.
    Seems to be the only explanation because if regular club riders were putting in 16 minute tens it would be a little bit weird to say the least... And very newsworthy.

The new record is only from early September so people have been talking about it recently.

Get the impression most amateurs would be chuffed to go under 20!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just because he chaperones doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about.

Love the idea of just riding for a mile at 30 and simply building up from that.

Just riding 10 miles as a longest ride won't work. You need plenty of aerobic fitness and that's easy to get on the bike. Intervals are great but easy to burn out if you do too much too soon.

The rollers plan could work if you can do hard intervals on them. Personally I prefer the turbo for those and I'd not start any of that til the new year.
  • fudgey
    Ex racer, been riding 37 years. I think he knows his stuff. The more i thnk about the more i suspect he meant the TT records. Ill ask him when i next see him, which will be over a week as he is not in the office next week.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Lots of us on here could say ex racer been riding for years. It doesn't mean we were any good or know any thing ;)
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Pinno wrote:
    Interestingly, also on Tejvan's site is this which may help the OP - http://cyclinguphill.com/10-mile-time-t ... ng-racing/
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill