Will Froome leave Sky

vinnymarsden
vinnymarsden Posts: 560
edited October 2016 in Pro race
Having seen the black cloud over Team Sky getting bigger and bigger re the Wiggins TUE thing...does anyone else think like me..that Chris Froome may well go and ply his trade with another team? There are no rumours or anything, its just a gut feeling I have, he didn't come out of the TUE thing too bad at all, and what with all the fallout that is only getting worse..maybe he might decide he wants a fresh start?
Who knows, but suffice to say he could command a nice fee, and most teams would gladly have him onboard.
I do kind of feel for Team Sky, but the problem they have is they set themselves up as totally utterly, unscrupulously clean, and this affair looks anything but... at best its taking the "marginal gains" idea right up to the VERY edge of the cliff..or maybe even a bit beyond.
I'm no medical man, can anyone explain what just one dose of Kenacort at 40mg would benefit you? Would it lessen hay fever allergies for the whole tour, or would he have needed other stuff too?
I ask this as a genuine question, because if he does suffer from hay fever then maybe it was just a VERY EXTREME belt and braces exercise to close the gate BEFORE the horse bolted..
But back on topic, I think if Froome did leave, he would be the perfect fit at somewhere like Cannondale...they always hammer all day, and very rarely get their name in lights.This is ONLY MY OPINION, before anyone rips me to bits...im entitled to it as much as the next person...aren't I?? :lol:

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    No.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    I can see a weekend cycling fan coming in here and plighting another thread that will last for 80 pages.

But in short: Not in the next few years at least.

Reasons? Well, there's many. But two key ones.

1) Team Sky is still the most credible team in the pro peloton.
    2) Froomey loves working with Tim Kerrison and wouldn't want to be coached by anyone else.

Don't be mistaken though, the Sky sponsorship will come to an end at some point, just not till at least 2020. So he may have no choice in the long term.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • So, I'm a weekend fan, because I said something you don't agree with... !! LOL...
  • jscl
    So, I'm a weekend fan, because I said something you don't agree with... !! LOL...
    Nah. I was referring to the user weekendcyclingfan who has been bashing the TUE thread for the last few days.

With ref to Cannondale, they just don't have the money and won't do for years to come.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • RichN95.
    So, I'm a weekend fan, because I said something you don't agree with... !! LOL...
    I think you may have misunderstood him. He wasn't referring to you. Weekendcyclingfan is a Sky obsessed troll clogging up the TUE thread.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

I think you may benefit from giving that another read.

I'm with Rich though, No. people seem to have forgotten that wiggins doesnt ride for Sky any more. I'm struggling to remember the name of Wiggins' Team though...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jscl
    ddraver wrote:

I'm with Rich though, No. people seem to have forgotten that wiggins doesnt ride for Sky any more. I'm struggling to remember the name of Wiggins' Team though...

Interesting fact of the day: The initial plan for Team Wiggins was for it to be called Team 101.

True story.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    JSCL wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Interesting fact of the day: The initial plan for Team Wiggins was for it to be called Team 101.

True story.

That's not interesting, I think you should just call it "Fact of the day".
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    RichN95 wrote:
    No.

+1
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Where would he go that is 'cleaner'? No-one would be batting an eyelid had it been any other team involved.
  • mfin wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    No.

+1

Admirable brevity
  • I could see it happening if another team came in and made him an offer Sky couldn't match - maybe middle eastern money - if that happened they could probably afford to buy kerrison out too.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sky pay the biggest wages. He will not find another team ready to pay the same he gets now. Add to that the only teams that could already have a top GC rider
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Oh yeah, I don't mean he won't ever leave Sky, just not over this.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I'd quite like to see him leave Sky and have a go somewhere else.

Re: the Kenacort, 2 other threads on that one already...
  • Anonymous
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    I'd quite like to see him leave Sky and have a go somewhere else.

Re: the Kenacort, 2 other threads on that one already...

Maybe. Would be good to see him go to a small team like Dimension Data (for example ) and have a team built around him made up of young British talent in the way Sky was meant to before it got a bit too big
  • Would love to see him on a French team.
  • Anonymous
    Would love to see him on a French team.

I think France would love to see a French rider in a French team win the TdF. Bardet is probably their greatest chance in years of doing that
  • RichN95.
    Yeah, he'll go a small team. And Lionel Messi will sign for Crystal Palace and Tom Cruise will join Eastenders.
  • Anonymous
    RichN95 wrote:
    Yeah, he'll go a small team. And Lionel Messi will sign for Crystal Palace and Tom Cruise will join Eastenders.

He may create his own development team like Bradley Wiggins has. He is mid 30's he hasn't got many top years left. Maybe 3 then after that he will either quit or go into something else like development. He is not the type to become a Directeur Sportif or release his own brand. So he will either create a team of Brits or even Africans if thats where his heart lies
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Does 31 count as mid 30s?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    JSCL wrote:

What does this mean? Why is it more 'credible' than Giant-Alpecin? They've even got a women's team...
  • RichN95.
    He's 31. He'll be 33 by the time his contract ends. If he's still at the top there's no point changing at that age unless it's for silly money. Sky's sponsorship ends when he's 35. Then he'll bugger off to save the rhino.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    mfin wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    No.

+1

+2
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dish_dash wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

What does this mean? Why is it more 'credible' than Giant-Alpecin? They've even got a women's team...

Talking of Giant-Alpecin reminds me of a scene in that film about the team, Clean Spirit, where there was an absolute pile of pills stacked up. Vitamins, I'm sure. Funny how few people seemed to pick up on it
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Perhaps a chance of a shot at the Giro. Any bike probs on a MTF then there is always the option of an adaptation of the Ventoux manoeuvre

CiZ2s5vWwAAD_g8.jpg:large

Oh and plus three :wink:
  • Apologies re earlier post....I didn't realise there was someone out there of that ilk.
    Some good replies, I personally like Froome, I think he's made it quite clear where he stands on TUEs. I just hope there isn't an uncomfortable atmos around the Sky camp now.
    I do agree, it would be great to see him head up a team of mainly UK talent, and there is enough to form the core of a team methinks.
    I just hope the football malarkey goes on a bit longer, and the TUE thing is consigned to yesterday's news, but I also hope the UCI run a check over their processes too, because it does look a bit wobbly from what we are reading.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    No. Sky seem better organised than most teams. Why take chances and spoil a winning combination?
  • Anonymous
    Pross wrote:
    Does 31 count as mid 30s?

Its not the zero or the 9 so technically yes. I meant to say he is already in his 30s as mentioned by end if contract he will be 33. He may still be competitive. Chris Horner win the Vuelta touching 42 so its not impossible. It depends on when he wants to bow out.

By 33 34 Sky may have someone else pushing hard to be team leader. He won't drop down the pecking. He would sooner leave. They have plentyof riders who can lead a Grand Tour team and eventually one is going to surpass Froome on the performance level to lead the team. Then is when he will probably go.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Like Sir Ian McKellen on Coronation Street? Cool.