thursday, tried to get me, but i won't be got, say i'm a misfit but i say i'm not,

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,432
edited October 2016 in The bottom bracket
'ning

plan: gym, cafe, office stuff emaily webexy cloudy thingy, etc.

crass lyric, anyone remember crass?
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    morning

bit tired as due to the tiller finishing off the bathroom floor, we couldn't prep it and therefore had to visit the pub :)

Today is working from home, so I can get to a work night out at a reasonable time & keep an eye on the builder as they plaster the old school room - which is almost finished :) (bar fitting the log burner, painting, lights, skirting boards, new dinning room table and repair/polish the parkay floor)

Time for more tea
  • I hope you've used a cement board behind your burner...

Today's plan is work, lunch, work, dinner, collect MrsHD from airport.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks,
    Bit moist around these parts this morning, had to drive in anyway as I have to take the girl to physio for 11am then to school and the psychotherapist at 4pm. That would all be alright but I've been at work since 7.30 and will have to come back in between appointments. Good news is we are well ahead of target so I should get a big chunk of bonus. The traditional Thursday hangover is present as expected, a little bit gusty as well. Second cup of tea has been drunk, I might go and kick someone now.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    he heee heeeeeee ... went out to the gym at 5am ... and there was a cat on the garage roof ..... in true pretator fashion, and I am sure the cat appreciated the game, I snuck up on the roof armed with a tactical torch, hit the attack strobe and confused and disoriented the cat as it jumped about 3' in the air backwards off the roof hit the grass and ran head first straight through the hedge.

It was awesome

I look forward to picking up the sh1t it will leave me on the lawn later as a form of revenge towards me
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, spent yesterday evening messing about building the workbench, so many bolts! Just three draws to build an its done.
    Tried drilling into the brickwork to mount the tool rack, turns out my masonry bits are upper pish but work, queue some rather miffed neighbours at me using a hammer drill at half seven at night.

Soggy one this morning though which is annoying, rained when I walked to the car, drove an it was dry, got out an it rained. The irony of a Travis song is not lost on me this morning. plus lack of a brolley, speaking of brollies some daft woman was trapped in the revolving door this morning after managing to not take the whole umbrella in with her and jamming the door. Certainly the highlight of my morning so far.
  • tlw1
    I hope you've used a cement board behind your burner.....

It comes out into the room a reasonable distance and apparently not an issue. Local builder and burner chap are being used, so if they're wrong they are coming back!

Cheers for mentioning it though, as I've asked the question - ready to remind them if they are wrong
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    fat daddy wrote:
    he heee heeeeeee ... went out to the gym at 5am ... and there was a cat on the garage roof ..... in true pretator fashion, and I am sure the cat appreciated the game, I snuck up on the roof armed with a tactical torch, hit the attack strobe and confused and disoriented the cat as it jumped about 3' in the air backwards off the roof hit the grass and ran head first straight through the hedge.

It was awesome

I look forward to picking up the sh1t it will leave me on the lawn later as a form of revenge towards me
    Clearly you've had some special forces training, SAS perhaps? Your secret is safe with me. Anyway, well played sir, good luck with the Sh!t later.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Hmm, a day of all sorts of things. Did some more trim work in house. Had a call about a new job opportunity, which is good. Minor downside, it's 1000 km away, and a permanent role, not contract. We're thinking of moving anyway to somewhere.. that could be a good place to start. Means things might get a little busy round here if it goes anywhere.

Did lunch involving bacon, eggs and coffee.

Ventured into Po Face on here, and am pleased to report back that the general level of intelligence is significantly higher in BB than over there.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • TLW1 wrote:
    I hope you've used a cement board behind your burner.....

It comes out into the room a reasonable distance and apparently not an issue. Local builder and burner chap are being used, so if they're wrong they are coming back!

Cheers for mentioning it though, as I've asked the question - ready to remind them if they are wrong

One thing to bear in mind if they say "use pink fire line board" is that yes, it's fire rated but it isn't heat resistant.

The paper starts to blister under the skimmed plaster and as the board breaks down it cracks - as I found out. We've just had ours refitted and I've lined the chimney thing with cement board this time around.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    fat daddy wrote:

Well, if I was the cat...

VITCAS - Insulation board for wood burners. So your's is a free standing one TLW?

I'll check out WS activity in Po Face, should be interesting.

Almost finished removing the plaster with the SDS drill, except someone at some time decided plaster was no good, it's better to use cement. Which slowed the proces down a bit. Now the leccy bloke wants me to hurry up as he will be stuck soon until I get the insulation and Gyproc in.

Pedal tomorrow - weather willing.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Evening

Day 2 of gardening leave between jobs, so working through a list of jobs longer than an orangutang's arm.

Builders still haven't finished at our gaff, were due to have finished on Monday but they love a lie in. Lazy gits.

Fettled with the CAADX, will take it for its inaugural spin tomorrow.

Laters, alligators.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    sungod wrote:
    'ning

'Fraid so. My mates were into them but my musical taste was more simplistic.

2 tone.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Sheep shagging in the Falklands?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    A mixed day.

On the good side, made an offer to a potential new minion, had a good pedal in and out.

On the down side, HR were behaving like a cunch of bunts and lost me a nother potential minion as a result. Then had to deal with the stupid bint who runs our back office who called me 'highly irresponsible' for trying to help her project by discussing it with someone whom already knew a bit about it and was due to get the full presentation on Monday. Apparently it was highly confidential but she didnt tell me that beforehand. She got it back with interest. I pointed out its an admin project, not the codes to our ****ing nuclear arsenal.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    ^ That reminded me of some event a while ago. I was working at Lincoln Financial Management LLC through a temping agency.
    Within a very short period of time, the head of that section told me that I was wasted in this capacity. He was Tony Alcock's bowling partner, good bloke. I explained why I was in this situation (not long out of hospital again).
    Within a week, he said that I should go down to HR and ask for an application for a certain post that was going and he would 'put in a good word'. So I did.
    Not 15 minutes later from returning back from HR, I got a stinking phone call from my agency?!? Suffice to say, my secondment didn't last much longer.
    My degree was in HRM and confidentiality is a supposed to be a key participle of the practice. Of course little did I know during my degree, HR only exists in name not in practice apart from in a tiny percentage of companies.
  • Pinno wrote:
    My degree was in HRM ...

This.
    Explains.
    Sooooooooooo.
    Much.
    :D:D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • tlw1
    Pinno wrote:
    My degree was in HRM ...

This.
    Explains.
    Sooooooooooo.
    Much.
    :D:D

There is still soooo much unexplained though
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    My degree was in HRM
    You wanted to go into HR? :shock: :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    It's a long old story and seeing as you're sitting there...

I left school with just the basics but got into College on the back of a good interview and did a 2 year diploma in Engineering with a view to going to Loughborough University. I was accepted into Loughborough but was told that unless my physics improved (my maths was good), i'd end up looking at cracks in bridges as a civil engineer. I didn't fancy that.
    I immediately got a job at IMI Cornelius doing production work, it was well paid and I loved it.
    Late 1990, the factory was closed down. Gulf war, recession.
    All the while I was at college, I did KP work in kitchens, so decided after 3 months on the dole (I was so busy, I nearly took on some staff) to get a proper job and not look over my shoulder at the DHSS coming over the hill at any time, so to speak. I went back to KP work on a part time basis but things took off under the watchful eye of Ray Oarton chef/owner. I felt that this was my metier. I ended up doing 55 hour + weeks in all aspects of the family run restaurant - 'Oarton's'. The guy was a complete cnut but I learnt a hell of a lot and loved every minute of it.
    Late '92 I was diagnosed.
    I knew straight after the Bone Marrow Transplant that I would never be physically able to go back into catering and I did not want to be on the management side. I also didn't have any formal qualifications in catering. I decided then to do an access course to get into Uni. From then until March 2000, I was in and out of hospital but still managed the degree and did a 1 year placement between the Chelsea Building Society and Eagle Star.
    In 2000, was so much on debt, I took on a job in Leicester on a building site doing painting. Paid off the debt I had accrued whilst I was in Scotland interspersing restoring a camper van and week to 2 week spells in hospital. Hospital was great as I could get the No.8 bus from there to the Sands Snooker Hall in the afternoon.
    In amongst that, my mother had a double heart valve replacement op, so that was another 8 weeks not earning whilst I looked after her.

My degree should have been 4 years but ended up 5. Probably on account of the fact that I preferred to be in Sweden with my then GF than in the UK (when she wasn't over here). I don't know how many essays were written in Sweden, posted to a friend and then passed on to the faculty. Great Library in Uppsala, fantastic rubber necking opportunities.
    As soon as I graduated I was back into hospital. So, the moment I had the opportunity to work full time again, I was back in. The next few months was spent temping and then eventually I secured a full time position at Norwich Union.
    It was only ever going to be temporary as I had an impending 3rd hip op - open wound on my left leg for 3 1/2 years, lovely.
    I hated every minute of it. The place where I went for lunch was advertising for a shop assistant manager. It was a delicatessen cum bakery cum cornershop selling everything from Pate, fine wines, (smoked Applewood needs a mention) to tinned beans and soup. I didn't return to work at NU that afternoon. I collected my bike and cycled off happy.
    Of course my catering experience came good again.
    After 4 months, the boss told me that he couldn't afford to pay me. I wasn't willing to take a salary drop. I was in the happy routine of 40 hours a week in the shop, 25 hours in the snooker hall and pedalling in between home, work, snooker hall and hospital appointments and the odd sojourn into the Cotswolds (actually more miles than I am doing now :shock: ).
    Boss told me that he would keep me on until I found another job.
    Johnson's Security was looking for drivers to deliver new cash carrying vehicles all over the UK. I applied and got the job but the hours were merciless and the distances were monotonous. The boss at Driver Hire Cheltenham offered me a job and training for an HGV Class 2, Initially, I did courier work whilst I went through the HGV test - that was the arrangement. Nearly killed me. Once I got the HGV license, I used it for all of 3 months and then came hip op No.3.
    Post hip op on the back of suing the DSS successfully and having saved a little and wandering what the f*ck I was going to do next, I drove around Europe for 6 weeks in my lovely old Merc doing what the farq I wanted and for the first time in 11 years, knowing that I had got to the end of the tunnel: no more hospital, finally.
    1 year at a local furniture project and then 11 years at MY Gulag. Not a single day off sick (don't know how).
    So apart from testing 6 different Hospital Trusts, I haven't really had a career in anything.
    The Gulag was a mix of engineering (fixing, repairing, re-building machinery/pumps etc), driving, people management and PR.

In summary:
    I can take a look at your car (not promising anything) and make you a bloody good sandwich whilst telling you to go to hell and you'll look forward to the trip.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    My degree was in HRM
    You wanted to go into HR? :shock: :)
    I think he meant "no, not really."
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    sungod wrote:
    'ning

I aint thick...of course I remember them. One of my all time favourite bands, have all their albums on my iPod blasting in the car.
  • pinno
    MugenSi wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    'ning

I aint thick...of course I remember them. One of my all time favourite bands, have all their albums on my iPod blasting in the car.

Is that 'cos you want to drown out the racket from your Si badged Nissoyotaclonewagon?
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    I haven't really had a career in anything.
    You could have saved yourself all that effort and gone straight into HR, same end effect :P

Interesting life story though.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Pinno wrote:
    MugenSi wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    'ning

Is that 'cos you want to drown out the racket from your Si badged Nissoyotaclonewagon?

Mugen = Honda 8) and sadly I no longer have my Mugen kitted Integra Si and I drive a Subaru.
  • pinno
    MugenSi wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    MugenSi wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    'ning

Mugen = Honda 8) and sadly I no longer have my Mugen kitted Integra Si and I drive a Subaru.

Forrester or Impreza? That's either Century Welly boots or boy racer.
  • Stevo_666
    MugenSi wrote:
    I drive a Subaru.
    Sorry to hear that, hope things get better for you soon :wink:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    MugenSi wrote:
    I drive a Subaru.
    Sorry to hear that, hope things get better for you soon and you get a Mazda:wink:

There you go.
  • tlw1
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    MugenSi wrote:
    I drive a Subaru.
    Sorry to hear that, hope things get better for you soon and you get a Mazda:wink:

There you go.

Nothing wrong with a Mazda, my 92 year old grandad loves his
  • pinno
    :D

Stevo's post can only be described as a 'boomerang post'.
  • tlw1
    Pinno wrote:
    :D

Stevo's post can only be described as a 'boomerang post'.

Which he fished for