training for a 40k tt

turbo1191
turbo1191 Posts: 501
Hi folks.. Just after some advice. I've been given the chance to do the 40k tt as part of a triathlon. There is a runner and a swimmer and we're doing it like a relay team. I'm throwing myself in at the deep end as I've never done a TT before never mind a 40k one! I think I'm reasonably fit and generally do 50-100k cycles- but obviously not tt focused. I have looked on the net and there is a plethora of information regarding preparation.. my only problem is I have got 1 month to try and train for it. What would I be best focusing on and what advice would people give me regarding training?

Thanks!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you've only got one month, then just get some hard 90min - 2hr rides in and hope for the best.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Get some tight clothing, a cheap aero helmet, and some TT bars.

Do some high intensity intervals as part of your training.

Don't go mad in the last week.
  • Fenix wrote:
    Get some tight clothing, a cheap aero helmet, and some TT bars.

Do some high intensity intervals as part of your training.

Don't go mad in the last week.

I'd disagree with some of this. Tight clothing yes but the aero helmet and TT bars will probably be a waste of time given the amount of time you'll get to practice. If it's a pan flat, non-technical course then I'd relent and say it might be worth it, but if it's up, down and twisty you'll probably go quicker on the road bike and your normal setup. Some aero wheels might help though.

Training wise I'd be looking at some degree of replication to understand what pace you'll likely be able to keep on the day. An hour at tempo, pushing 20% over FTP on the ascents might give you a clue. But above all else, for race day, unless conditions play a huge factor (massive headwind out etc) then I'd just keep a bit in reserve and embrace the pain.
  • It's a pan flat course, 4 x10k laps with a 100ft ramp at 5k. Purchased a set of clip on aero bars and just going to try and get used to that setup for the next month. Started doing some intervals.. just need to try and pace it. Not got a hr monitor or power meter so don't want to blow up.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Tri bars are definitely worth it unless its massively hilly. Put them on any road bike and you'll be 1 - 2mph faster for the same heart rate.

It's only 40k so the OP should be able to stay in position like that for an hour or so.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Clip on bars are the highest gain you can get - that and being able to use them - Don't place them too close together though. It takes a bit of practice to use them and to be able to use them continuously too.

I do use power & HR - but not really well in a TT - it's pretty much always riding to feel then checking my HR is where I expect it. 40k is a good distance for a TT - so much more than the 10mile 25 minutes of pain which is faily easily endured. My advice - don't go out too hard - I assume you've got some method of measuring speed - so you know roughly what your average speed is on a flat road - up that by 2mph and see how it goes. When it comes to the ramp, allow your speed to drop, keep the pressure on the pedals the same - then the last lap see if you can "empty the tank" - don't forget you need to get off and "run" into transition at the end ...

Drink wise - might be sensible to carry some - I lost my bottle (no - really - I dropped it somewhere in the briefing and didn't have time to find it) - so did the 40k (hilly) without a drink - it's perfectly possible, just a little distracting.
  • @slowbike- thanks for taking the time to write that. Just the info I needed. Yes I have a gamin for measuring some info..
  • Be sure to come back on and tell us how you did, it might help others in the future.

Good luck.
  • Yep no bother. I'm looking forward to it.
  • turbo1191
    Looking for some more help and info if possible folks.. ive had my bike set up in as TT position as i can but feel that i could really do with a seatpost that can get me further forward. my saddle is as far forward as i can get it at the moment but feel i need more. im riding a scott CR1 with a 31.6mm inline post. Would an offset post turned round fit the bill?
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    turbo1191 wrote:
    Looking for some more help and info if possible folks.. ive had my bike set up in as TT position as i can but feel that i could really do with a seatpost that can get me further forward. my saddle is as far forward as i can get it at the moment but feel i need more. im riding a scott CR1 with a 31.6mm inline post. Would an offset post turned round fit the bill?
    You'd be better with an inline seatpost, however I think if your saddle is too far forward you won't be in the best position to get most power to the pedals.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Fenix wrote:
    Tri bars are definitely worth it unless its massively hilly. Put them on any road bike and you'll be 1 - 2mph faster for the same heart rate.

It's only 40k so the OP should be able to stay in position like that for an hour or so.
    Provided you practice in that position - on or near the front of the saddle with elbows in and head low. And practice cornering confidently on the aerobars.

After tri-bars, a properly tight skinsuit is the next most beneficial item. An aero helmet (can you borrow one?) will save a similar amount of time as expensive wheels.

I would only take a bottle for a 40km if it was a hot day, otherwise you lose speed each time you're out of the aero position holding the bottle and glugging from it (this also disrupts your breathing, which should be deep and regular the whole time). If you don't have one you don't have to think about how much, how often etc.

Pacing is key. Don't go mad off the start, notch up the effort once you've got into a rhythm then keep on it and ride through the discomfort for the last 10-15 minutes.

Try doing 20 mins at what you think is race pace on a loop or a flat stretch of road where you can stay on the tri-bars the whole time. Note how far you went and/or your average speed. Spin easy for 5-10 mins. Then do the loop again, or if straight out go back in the other direction, at the same effort level (which may not necessarily be at the same speed). If you're not suffering in the last 5 mins of the second interval then you can probably go a little quicker.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • turbo1191
    Thanks for the lengthy reply. Went out today and I'm working on feeling comfy in that position for 40k. Felt OK. Did 30k in the tt position and averaged 22mph on a route that had elevation at the start and finish..just working on upping the distance then speed..