Headset installation - help!

bsharp77
bsharp77 Posts: 533
edited September 2016 in Workshop
Hi guys,

Got a cheap and cheerful frame from china to build up mainly for the trainer.
Ive never installed a headset before so go easy on me - this could be the simplest of things, but I just can't work it out and no amount of searching can help me.

As far as I can see, the split blue ring is referred to as the 'collett' and goes onto the forks and meets the race bearing in the frame.
race.jpg
The problem is, as you can see from the photo - this is as far as the collett will naturally go, and I'm worried if I press it further its going to start going out of shape (as the steerer swells out in size at the bottom) and maybe not fit into the bearing?
The fork doesn't seem to have a natural end point for the collett to sit into unlike most forks I've seen when searching, hence my confusion.

Apologies if this is something really stupid - you don't know unless you know!

Comments

• jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    The bearing fits directly on the chamfered part of the forks so a crown race isn't needed.
  • jermas wrote:
    The bearing fits directly on the chamfered part of the forks so a crown race isn't needed.

Ahhh....thanks a lot jermas!
    The thought did cross my mind, but I didn't want to make an even bigger mistake and possibly damage something.
    Another lesson learnt in the crazy world of bike maintenance!

Many thanks for the quick reply :D
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Cheers.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Looks like that blue collet is the thing that goes immediately on top of the top bearing, with a shim washer on top of that then the headset conical top cap. (Oh, and it would be the other way up to the photo)
  • mfin wrote:
    Looks like that blue collet is the thing that goes immediately on top of the top bearing, with a shim washer on top of that then the headset conical top cap. (Oh, and it would be the other way up to the photo)
    This. Correct Answer.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS