shane sutton - hardman or heinous? independent review

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited December 2016 in Pro race
I took my eye of it - has it been ( I thinks so?) , is it coming , will it ever be publicised ?

I never liked him when he whizzed past me without so much as a hello - luckily I was warming up and dropped him on a false flat a mile later - with some gusto I might add :D

Shane%20Sutton%20(picture%20source%20Team%20Sky%202013).jpg?itok=ogFqjoKz

Comments

• October, if I remember correctly

Queue of active BC trackies who want to provide testimony to the Panel, but decision was taken to do it after Rio was out of the way in order to avoid undue distraction
  • bit of both :)
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    No shortage of riders not happy with him currently on the program, but still plenty of support too.

His position to return is untenable I think, but my awareness is that the review has yet to be formally concluded and there's still additional information being considered in it.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Can't really see a way back for him, sad really as he's probably a good coach, just probably not 21st century with the language he uses.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Should go back to coaching riders who want to be coached by him.
  • Should go back to coaching riders who want to be coached by him.

Contrary to what JSCL would have us believe, that would be the majority of riders he was already coaching.
    There is a lot yet to be said and hopefully when it's done and the report has come out, I'll be able to clear up one or two early misconceptions.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey

Contrary to what JSCL would have you believe, that would be the majority of riders he was already coaching.

Then fine.

Look, I worked in an office where my boss drew a bum, put wings and feet on it, cut it out, stuck it on my PC monitor and spent the rest of the year referring to me as the 'flying butt monkey', so I tend to be more relaxed about that stuff than most.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015

Contrary to what JSCL would have us believe, that would be the majority of riders he was already coaching.
    There is a lot yet to be said and hopefully when it's done and the report has come out, I'll be able to clear up one or two early misconceptions.

I wouldn't have us believe anything, sir!

Lots of riders want him back too, he's a good coach. I keep thinking maybe he could go back to coaching for the WCPP Olympic squad and not have involvement with the Para squad maybe. But I know guys on the Para program who want Shane back too. There's riders who have views on either side, but that's always going to be the way.

I'm pretty neutral in my thoughts. I think that whatever is best for the organisation should happen, there's no shortage of people at the top who aren't fans of Shane too. Me? I want to see us do better and I want to see more people riding their bike. Shane's a good guy, you know that Blazing.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    He called Paralympic cyclists “gimps”.

"25-year-old Varnish alleges that Sutton told her she was “too old” to compete and that she should “move on and go and have a baby”.

Perhaps he should put his slippers on and look after his grandkids, teach them how to respect others.
  • FocusZing wrote:

"25-year-old Varnish alleges that Sutton told her she was “too old” to compete and that she should “move on and go and have a baby”.

Perhaps he should put his slippers on and look after his grandkids, teach them how to respect others.

Perhaps we should see what the independent panel concludes?
  • Sutton seems more at home as asst DS from the old skool a la S Yates and a host of others. It would make an excellent spoof documentary especially set in the 70s la Bodie and Doyle esque hand brake turning fully laden team cars calling girls in the cafe Luv and doing some dealing for placings in the bars of Belgium - 'what about a monkey and your boy has a nasty slip on the last corner??'

We're not interested in no poncy Milan St Remo but remember us at Flanders (nose touch)

Lines like when Wegelius (or was it Jamie Burrows?) went to the Italian feeder team at about 6% body fat and 8 stone and the DS said 'We''ll have to get you on a diet you fat ba**td'' and then only gave him tomatoes

or Riis ' the best way for a neo pro to train is a 6 hour ride, then no food and 3 bottles of water and 2 sleeping pills - then repeat everyday'

Yates rattled Cavendish to be fair to Cav he wasn't having any of it
  • Sid Barras chinned him at a crit once. True story.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    FocusZing wrote:

Allegations, not facts.
  • He'll be back, if he wants to go back!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Back when Cycling Weekly had a forum, there was a belter of a story about him from his racing days.

Clearly nothing i'd ever repeat, but I'm sure some of a certain vintage remember it...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    Back when Cycling Weekly had a forum, there was a belter of a story about him from his racing days.

Clearly nothing i'd ever repeat, but I'm sure some of a certain vintage remember it...

Oh you tease.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    That and the Sid Barras chinning incident I want to hear more about...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Got to be honest, isn't it about time the the UK media stopped "stalking" every professional involved in sport and simply let them get on with it? No, he shouldn't have used outdated language to certain people within the set up (if in fact he did) but FGS... I always thought that pro sports people had a tough mental attitude..I know for a fact what he would get if he called me and my workmates offensive names! There would be no need for an enquiry, he would be dealt with by his peers..INSTANTLY, there is sooooooooo much faffing involved in any "official" investigations of this ilk nowadays..How many "lessons have been learned" in numerous sporting bodies all over the world, but still events happen, because you simply cannot make everyone behave properly simply because you think they should.
    Sutton maybe brings some of his Oz "roughness" to the table, but results continue to show that at least something is right at BC.or were all the Olympic medals because we had got rid of him...I think not
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:

I haven't heard it for a few years, but it was when Shane first came over and his hard man boxer reputation preceded him.

Him and Sid had a bit of argie bargie and Sutton kept slamming on in front of Sid. I can't remember the exact details, but they both got off their bikes round the back of the circuit where Sid gave him a good hiding.

When they eventually came back round to the finishing straight, Sid pushing Shane, the commentator announced "look at Sid Barras there, aiding the injured rider back to the start" :D:D
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Got to be honest, isn't it about time the the UK media stopped "stalking" every professional involved in sport and simply let them get on with it? No, he shouldn't have used outdated language to certain people within the set up (if in fact he did) but FGS... I always thought that pro sports people had a tough mental attitude..I know for a fact what he would get if he called me and my workmates offensive names! There would be no need for an enquiry, he would be dealt with by his peers..INSTANTLY, there is sooooooooo much faffing involved in any "official" investigations of this ilk nowadays..How many "lessons have been learned" in numerous sporting bodies all over the world, but still events happen, because you simply cannot make everyone behave properly simply because you think they should.
    Sutton maybe brings some of his Oz "roughness" to the table, but results continue to show that at least something is right at BC.or were all the Olympic medals because we had got rid of him...I think not

do the riders who win medals, excel because of the coaching ? or inspite of it because they are just exceptionally talented individuals and are able to coach themselves to the levels required, then give them the Olympic kit and away they go.

a good coach will always recognise that people need to be handled in different ways and respond differently, a bad coach will always say its their way or nothing else, and always claim the success they have proves their method works, whilst ignoring the failures and the lost success they could have had, had they taken a different approach.

there were 10 Olympic track cycling events, Team GB only won medals in 9.didnt even compete in Womens MTB or BMX,and didnt win any medals in mens BMX,mens Mtb,mens road race, womens road race or womens time trial.

so how successful were British Cycling again ?
  • salsiccia1
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

I haven't heard it for a few years, but it was when Shane first came over and his hard man boxer reputation preceded him.

Him and Sid had a bit of argie bargie and Sutton kept slamming on in front of Sid. I can't remember the exact details, but they both got off their bikes round the back of the circuit where Sid gave him a good hiding.

When they eventually came back round to the finishing straight, Sid pushing Shane, the commentator announced "look at Sid Barras there, aiding the injured rider back to the start" :D:D

That's a beauty :lol:

Cheers for sharing that :D
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

That's a beauty :lol:

Cheers for sharing that :D

I rate this anecdote 10/11. Would share.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Look, I worked in an office where my boss drew a bum, put wings and feet on it, cut it out, stuck it on my PC monitor and spent the rest of the year referring to me as the 'flying butt monkey', so I tend to be more relaxed about that stuff than most.
    So you've worked for Oleg then?
    :lol:
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    It would make an excellent spoof documentary especially set in the 70s la Bodie and Doyle esque h

sounds like: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252665/?re ... lmg_act_45
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Things are moving towards conclusion.
    Won't be long now. A matter of days.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Things are moving towards conclusion.
    Won't be long now. A matter of days.

Today isn't it?
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Got to be honest, isn't it about time the the UK media stopped "stalking" every professional involved in sport and simply let them get on with it? No, he shouldn't have used outdated language to certain people within the set up (if in fact he did) but FGS... I always thought that pro sports people had a tough mental attitude..I know for a fact what he would get if he called me and my workmates offensive names! There would be no need for an enquiry, he would be dealt with by his peers..INSTANTLY, there is sooooooooo much faffing involved in any "official" investigations of this ilk nowadays..How many "lessons have been learned" in numerous sporting bodies all over the world, but still events happen, because you simply cannot make everyone behave properly simply because you think they should.

What would he get if he called you and your workmates offensive names? Dealt with by his peers? Who are his peers? He is effectively the boss who is governed by a board. The disciplinary procedure for a large organisation at senior level was invoked as it should be. Or are you suggesting taking the boss round the back to knock the crap out of them is the way to resolve matters? :D
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Did anyone hear Tony Doyle talking about this on Radio 5 Live this morning? Apparently he was complaining about the panel having women on it. :roll:
  • andyp wrote:
    Did anyone hear Tony Doyle talking about this on Radio 5 Live this morning? Apparently he was complaining about the panel having women on it. :roll:

For gawd's sake
  • salsiccia1
    andyp wrote:

Did they ask him about drugs in the UK peloton during his time racing?