What to look for when testing bikes

joshy2
joshy2 Posts: 22
edited September 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

First of all, this is a really great and informative forum and it's great to have joined.

I'm looking to get back into mountain-biking after a long hiatus and know that I need to test the bikes I'm looking at to see which feels best.

As it's been a while, it would be really great to refresh my knowledge of what to look for when testing the bikes. Assuming they're all set up right height-wise, is it just a case of seeing what is most comfortable when riding around, or should I look out for anything in particular in the way I'm having to stretch or exert myself?

Also, do I need to check that the shop has set the suspension to the same comparable setting on each of the bikes? Or check they've made any other settings (relatively) equal so as to ensure a fair comparison?

Thanks a lot,

Josh

FYI, my riding will be mostly general XC - both on and off trails and a mix of down and uphill (so it needs to be able to climb well) and also some on-road riding to/from the XC.

From what I've read, I'm pretty sure a 29" hardtail would be best though am happy to try a 27.5" too. My budget is about £1000 - could stretch to £1100-1200 max if it's really worth it.

For 29ers, I'm looking at: Trek Superfly 5, Scott Scale 960 or 950, Marin Nail Trail 9.6
For 27.5: Whyte 901, Pinnacle Iroko 2 or 3 (if I get s/h then I'd look at Whyte 905)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How much testing will you get?

Yes the suspension has to be set close, sag around 25%, rebound around the half way mark is realistically as close as you'll get for a quick ride.

Also have a look at the Rafal range at Decathlon, excellent value and the equal of much more expensive bikes, 27.5" unless you pick up an older 29 on the used market.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • [*]
    The Rookie wrote:
    How much testing will you get?

Yes the suspension has to be set close, sag around 25%, rebound around the half way mark is realistically as close as you'll get for a quick ride.

Also have a look at the Rafal range at Decathlon, excellent value and the equal of much more expensive bikes, 27.5" unless you pick up an older 29 on the used market.

Thanks for that.

I'm not sure yet how much testing I get. My first port of call will be Evans so as much as they let me. My closest branch is situated at the bottom of a fairly steep hill which is good as I'll be able to test uphill riding comfort (which is quite important to me). I'm sure I won't be able to get any off road testing though unfortunately.

In terms of the Rafal, I'll likely be getting the bike through the ride to work scheme which restricts me to Evans unfortunately (though I can ask for another bike and they'll see what they can obtain). If I go 27.5" that pretty much rules out the Whyte 901 too unless they can source that.