Just finished my first wheel service...

craigus89
craigus89 Posts: 887
edited September 2016 in Workshop
So I've recently ordered some new wheels for my winter bike as the old ones seem pretty shot and are not great quality anyway. I thought I would have a go at servicing them (cup and cone style) as a bit of a learning exercise. I all went very well to my surprise! Quite chuffed I managed it okay as usually something goes wrong or I end up not having a correct tool somewhere along the line.

Anyway, I just refit the rear wheel to the bike and took it for a quick ride up the road and all seemed fine except when I put it back on the workstand, the rear wheel doesn't spin for very long when you stop the pedals turning. The cups had worn and had signs of pitting in them so I realise the wheels aren't in great condition, but trying to establish if I may have done something wrong during reassembly, as this is more of a learning exercise than anything else I'm not expecting the wheel to spin for ages but it did seem as if something wasn't quite right.

Could I have over-tightened the locking nuts? Something else? Checked all the obvious things like brakes rubbing before anyone suggests that :lol:

Comments

• set the cone and lock nuts up so there is the tinyest bit of play that will be removed when the Q/R is clamped.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Spot on, thanks. I watched a couple of videos and read about it first, it didn't feel right having them even ever so slightly loose so made sure they were fairy tight. I'll adjust and report back tomorrow evening.

Thanks.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    As above, the cones need to be set so the axle has a tiny amount of play when wiggled. It's not that the lock nuts are too tight (they need to be tight) but that the cones and lock nuts are adjusted wrongly- compressing the ball bearings too much. Backing off on one side will sort it. Sometimes it's a case of adjusting, checking, then readjusting because the action of tightening the lock-nut throws the adjustment out slightly. It's one of those jobs that would be easier with three hands!
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    There's also not a lot between too tight and just right - if you use spokes of the wheel as a guide it's probably only 1 or 2 spokes worth of spanner rotation.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If in any doubt, it's always best to have them slightly too loose. Too tight and you'll very quickly knacker the bearings.