Which frame size-cube stereo

Danieljephcott
Danieljephcott Posts: 334
edited September 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello all, sorry I'm still messing with bikes and keep looking around.

I was going to get the 2016 rose grabite chief 2 but tbh the customer service has been a bit crap and now I've found this bike I think it's a better spec. Also as far as I can see the stereo is highly rated... but please correct me if I'm wrong as I want to make sure I get the right bike.

Here's the bike:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Stereo-160 ... _84833.htm

I'm not sure what size frame to get. 18" or 20". It seems a 19" would be perfect but they don't do that size.

I'm 183cm tall. Just under 6ft. And a 32.5inch leg. But I'm a big guy. The size guides say a 18" frame but I'm right at. E top of that. As I'm a big guy I don't want the bike to be to small. At the same time I don't want to have any issues with the dropper post size, im concerned it might be to big when it's at it's lowest height.

As always your help is much appreciated

Thanks

Dan

Comments

• mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I am 181cm with long legs (32.5" inside leg) so while I am slightly smaller than you, we have the same length leg. I have a 21" Cube LTD 29er, its a very good fit, the 19" would have been too small and I'd feel cramped on it. I have a 60mm stem which is to enhance steering rather than reduce length. A 20" would probably have been more ideal but the LTD is made in the odd number sizes, 17, 19 21" etc

Get the 20", it''ll be perfect for your height and if you do find it a bit of a stretch to the bars then fit a shorter stem.
  • Have you tried contacting the Rose UK agent? The Rose is definitely the better bike.
  • i did they just weren't very helpful.

im picking this bike up tomorrow from the shop, £1800 including some spd pedals, some of the shimano AM5 shoes and a hiplock. :)

cant wait. from what i can see the stereo has good ratings, not this exact one.
  • thanks for the info mugen.

I was worried about the seat post fitting more than anything but from conversations ive had the seat post section is more like the 18" frame but the 20" frame is longer.
  • mugensi
    thanks for the info mugen.

I was worried about the seat post fitting more than anything but from conversations ive had the seat post section is more like the 18" frame but the 20" frame is longer.

There'll be more seat post hidden in the seat tube on a 20" frame than exposed if you go by the rule of having the seatpost at the same height as the handlebars.

Which one are you going for?
  • which one? do you mean seat? its the 150mm reverb. well ill find out tomorrow, if not im sure they could swap the reverb to a smaller one.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    MugenSi wrote:

There'll be more seat post hidden in the seat tube on a 20" frame than exposed if you go by the rule of having the seatpost at the same height as the handlebars.

Eh? The seat post should be at the correct height for the rider. You don't set it according to the handlebar height.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    im picking this bike up tomorrow from the shop, £1800 including some spd pedals, some of the shimano AM5 shoes and a hiplock. :)

That sounds like a cracking deal. Enjoy the new bike and let us know how you get on with 1x11.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Have you tried contacting the Rose UK agent? The Rose is definitely the better bike.

That's surprising. I've found him very helpful and so have others.
  • Danieljephcott
    Danieljephcott Posts: 334
    edited September 2016
    Have you tried contacting the Rose UK agent? The Rose is definitely the better bike.

That's surprising. I've found him very helpful and so have others.

Great at the show but was asking some questions and trying to work out costs of swapping from the 2x11-1x11 and just wasn't confidence inspiring. However I do think the cube is a better deal, pike front and float rear is what I really wanted and sram x01 and guide r brakes for me is a spec up from the rose. The rose in the end was also £600 more and a 4 week wait.

Anyway it's all over kill for me so I'll be happy either way :). Thank you for the help tho as you really helped me whittle it down to a couple of bikes.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The Cube frame sizes in the Stereo come up super small, the 20" is actually an 18" seat tube and the reach is very, very short. Really I'd recommend the 22" frame
  • mugensi
    which one? do you mean seat? its the 150mm reverb. well ill find out tomorrow, if not im sure they could swap the reverb to a smaller one.

No, I meant which frame size did/are you going for?
  • Ah ok lol. Went for the 20" in the end. It fits perfect, the bikes a tad shorter than my hardtail but I think that's due to it being an enduro type bike. Either way fits great and it's blumin awesome.
  • mugensi
    Ah ok lol. Went for the 20" in the end. It fits perfect, the bikes a tad shorter than my hardtail but I think that's due to it being an enduro type bike. Either way fits great and it's blumin awesome.

I think its more to do with Cubes small sizing than anything else, like I said I have a 21" and it fits me at under 6' perfectly and anything smaller would be cramped and uncomfortable. I currently have the saddle all the way back and a 60mm stem but i'm considering putting a 70 or 80mm stem on it to push out the reach a little but I'm afraid of upsetting the snappy steering with the shorter stem. Its work in progress.
  • Next size frame up is a 22" which defo would have been to big. Did an 18 mile off road ride last night and it was actually very comfortable. Defo would have felt rough today if I was on my hardtail. Really happy with it :)