Quite pleased to see...

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2016 in Pro race
That Tre Valli Varesine and Milano-Turino are on 'telly next week.

Can't believe it's nearly time for Ricks fave of all the classics, Lombardy! And back on a Saturday, proper Italian classics style.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    Still surprised that they've moved the Tre Valli Varesine from it's traditional August spot as part of the Trittico Lombardo. Most un-Italian.
  • Yeah looking forward to Saturday, along with the golf it should be a decent day of sport.
  • andyp
    Yeah looking forward to Saturday, along with the golf it should be a decent day of sport.

Rick - can you swing the ban hammer please?
  • andyp wrote:
    Yeah looking forward to Saturday, along with the golf it should be a decent day of sport.

:lol:
  • iainf72 wrote:

Can't believe it's nearly time for Ricks fave of all the classics, Lombardy! And back on a Saturday, proper Italian classics style.

Good innit?

Have to say that this might be the winning formula the Italian calendar was desperately in need of.
    The age old Giro dell Emilia was dying on it's feet, having been shoved into solitude after Lombardy.
    Last year they could hardly get a field together. This year, once again a stellar cast.
    This and Bruno Beghelli, the Trittico Lombardo, the 2 day Giro della Toscana combined with the Coppa Sabatini, plus the Milan-Turino/Piedmonte double header, all packed into the fortnight before the falling leaves. All with either live or highlights on tv.
    Just the ticket.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    That is good news.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    With the low quality of this Worlds, I'm giving Lombardi a temporary raise.

Only for this year.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    iainf72 wrote:

Good innit?

Have to say that this might be the winning formula the Italian calendar was desperately in need of.
    The age old Giro dell Emilia was dying on it's feet, having been shoved into solitude after Lombardy.
    Last year they could hardly get a field together. This year, once again a stellar cast.
    This and Bruno Beghelli, the Trittico Lombardo, the 2 day Giro della Toscana combined with the Coppa Sabatini, plus the Milan-Turino/Piedmonte double header, all packed into the fortnight before the falling leaves. All with either live or highlights on tv.
    Just the ticket.
    That is good news.

Are those Italians races in any way coordinated? I think they're missing a trick - end of Summer/Autumnal races in Italy are so evocative. They could be marketed like the Springtime Belgian /Ardennes classics to create a real identity that more cycling fans start looking forward to...

The smell of fungi riddled damp woodlands; leaf-strewn treachery on every twisty high-contrast corner... Steam rising from the shiny black padded jackets of the lines of passionate tifosi who still all live with their mums despite being well into their 30's...
    I've got a good feeling about Lombardi this year.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Agree on the late season Italian races. They could do with a bit more of a coordinated marketing push...

Looking forward to Lombardy, as ever, though only downside is no Nibali riding and Purito just making up the numbers...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    It'll make a nice change from this Fancy Bears crap.
  • ^amen to that

Emilia decent indicator of form...
  • I think there have been indicators that this idea is being much more effectively coordinated.
    Both Emilia and Begehelli, this weekend had top flight women's races on the same day.
    Both had tv coverage from Rai, with the same commentary team as for the men's race.
    Chloe Hosking was well impressed.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    ^amen to that

Emilia decent indicator of form...

So we're looking at Chaves then? I'd be happy with that.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    dish_dash wrote:
    Agree on the late season Italian races. They could do with a bit more of a coordinated marketing push...

Looking forward to Lombardy, as ever, though only downside is no Nibali riding and Purito just making up the numbers...

One of our ex forumites was arguing for a secondary cobbled classics season in the autum. I think it's a great idea but, as you suggest, make it an Italian style classics season. If Lombardy is P-R, then there is certainly space for an Italian RVV and G-W
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    andyp wrote:

I don't watch much golf but it's always nice to stuff the Yanks at anything.
  • andyp
    Tre Valle Varesine is live on Eurosport now, with Rob Hatch and Magnus Backstedt doing their best to annoy you.
  • andyp wrote:
    Tre Valle Varesine is live on Eurosport now, with Rob Hatch and Magnus Backstedt doing their best to annoy you.

Watching it now.
    The great thing about Italian races is that they mean no Kirby.
  • A car got onto the course, going in the opposite direction.
    Hit a police motorbike head on.
    The rider looks to have gone right over the car.
    Didn't look good.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Eish... that sounds bad!
  • andyp
    Unconfirmed reports from Italian TV say the motorcyclist has a suspected broken pelvis.
  • Milan-Turin Live now and the nasty crashes continue.
    Scarponi looks like he's gone into the back of a Range Rover and a Movistar rider lying flat out in the middle of the road.
  • andyp

Watching it now.

You jinxed it! :evil:
  • Milan-Turin Live now and the nasty crashes continue.
    Scarponi looks like he's gone into the back of a Range Rover and a Movistar rider lying flat out in the middle of the road.

Sheeeesh
  • andyp wrote:

Watching it now.

You jinxed it! :evil:

Mmm, I did, didn't I. :( I'm wonder if Milan-Turin isn't an RCS race, now....

Two Movi riders down with Scarponi. Malori broken collarbone and unfortunately, Wout Poels involved as well.
    47kph average race speed.
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    Was bollocked last year for commenting on this race in the shoot thread. Can't believe it doesn't have its own :-)
    Should be a decent finish, all together with 7k to go
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,221
    Decent finish. Not quite sure why Woods attacked so early though. It was odd the way the lead group seemed to allow the front two to ride off as though they thought they'd reel them back easily but then no-one really seemed to try pulling them back.
  • andyp
    I think Woods' attack was mainly to benefit Uran, so he could save his legs as others tried to close the gap. The trouble is, he, and Lopez, turned out to be too strong to be brought back.