Let us pray

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,474
edited October 2016 in The bottom bracket
That Fat Sam gets sacked

The FA committee die and get replaced with individuals who have a footballing brain and don't appoint a manager on the basis they haven't been relegated
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• slowmart
    Are you lot godless heathens or wrongly think Sam is good enough to manage the national squad despite having the pedigree of not being relegated.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,160
    Before you pray too hard, Southgate looks like he's in the running to take over in the interim...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    They should give the job to someone squeaky clean like Harry Redknap to avoid any further embarrassment.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Hardly a surprise given the outcome from that BBC program a few years ago where he disputed all the claims about his transfer dealings and said with great bluster legal action was impending. The BBC pretty much said 'go on then, let's see what you've got' and funnily enough he never sued them.
  • slowmart
    He's gone, goodbye and good riddance.

Let's see how robust the FA investigation is into slippery Sams comments to the undercover reporters are. That's unless the FA are happy about third party player ownership but are uncomfortable having people talk about it.

Desmond Tutu
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Greedy greedy Fat Sam, snout in the trough.
    £3m (!) p.a. clearly not enough.
  • Stevo_666
    Great, the England manager is now the bloke who got 'Boro relegated...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Just be thankful it's not Stuart Pearce :?
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Just be thankful it's not Stuart Pearce :?
    I suppose we should be grateful for small mercies.
  • orraloon wrote:
    Greedy greedy Fat Sam, snout in the trough.
    £3m (!) p.a. clearly not enough.

This is exactly what I thought - what a greedy twat. Deserves everything he gets.

If someone was paying me £3million a year to manage a team that plays - what - 10 games a year I would be laughing myself senseless 24/7.

I really hope his wife is still kicking him now at blowing the biggest gravy train ever.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Claudio Ranieri for England manager.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Btw does this mean that Rooney may no longer be 'captain' and automatic selection? Will Southgate have the cojones?
  • slowmart
    It seems Arsene may be a shoe in at the end of the season and Southgate will cover until then.

The situation is a massive test for the leadership of the FA.

Let's see if the FA now gets to grips with the corruption in the game or turns another blind eye while appointing a new manager.

Given fat Sams history I'm surprised, both managerially and in the transfer market, he got the role and he wasn't given a heads up by the FA about behaviours expected. Or maybe he was and he's just thick as shit.

For me it's just greed. A supposedly dream job, a job which tops the pay scale in peer positions for national sides and he's chasing extra cash and undermining the governing bodies authority. No respect, no class.

Desmond Tutu
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I saw this today which made me chuckle...

14484817_551408731735668_2600887824521374168_n.jpg?oh=919fa4564c2339c0ea514999aee007c5&oe=5878EC32

The older I get, the better I was.

• pinno
    Slowmart wrote:
    The situation is a massive test for the leadership of the FA.

Let's see if the FA now gets to grips with the corruption in the game or turns another blind eye while appointing a new manager.

They're getting loads of money and why would they want to do that?
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    What is it with the mentality of the Media in this Country. One game in and they are after entrapping him and hounding him out of the post. ( I m not defending what he did. and the naivety to not realise he was a target).

Why cant we just get behind a team and a manager, rather than seek to rake the
    dirt and destroy them at every opportunity.

Not only are the actual performances of our national team at tournament level an absolute joke, we are turning the position of managing that team into a poisoned chalice which no right minded successful or decent manager would want.

Its akin to certain sections of the media. looking to castigate and deride our Soldiers/ Sailors and Airmen when they are on operations abroad.

Negative media always seems to sell and set the agenda. No wonder the press see the England Manager post as the golden goose that just keeps on giving.
  • pinno
    Well, in Engerland, it's not all about just managing a football team is it?
    @ £3m per year, I think you should be able to keep your trap firmly shut and get on with the job and act professionally at all times.

I think, on the whole, Hodgson did a good job in that respect.
  • tim wand wrote:
    What is it with the mentality of the Media in this Country. One game in and they are after entrapping him and hounding him out of the post. ( I m not defending what he did. and the naivety to not realise he was a target).

Not only are the actual performances of our national team at tournament level an absolute joke, we are turning the position of managing that team into a poisoned chalice which no right minded successful or decent manager would want.

Its akin to certain sections of the media. looking to castigate and deride our Soldiers/ Sailors and Airmen when they are on operations abroad.

Negative media always seems to sell and set the agenda. No wonder the press see the England Manager post as the golden goose that just keeps on giving.

The investigation took 10 months, so started way before he became England manager.
  • It's not even a poisoned chalice really though is it - here's £3 million plus bonus a year. Now don't be a balloon head and do anything illegal/against the laws of your employer/morally reprehensible/that'll damage the name of the FA.

It's not really difficult.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    tim wand wrote:

The investigation took 10 months, so started way before he became England manager.
    Allardyce isn't going to be the only one dealt a blow by this either. Several more Prem/Champ managers apparently. Don't know if this was related to Pearson's suspension at Derby or whether that was for other reasons but would be plausible.
  • tim_wand

Didn't realise that! But it begs the question if they had concerns or even evidence at that point of impropriety, why did they not present those concerns to the F.A prior to his appointment.

Seems they got much more bang for their buck waiting until he was appointed , through a doubtless very expensive process and then publishing their concerns.

I would Imagine there are a team of back street hacks sat now trying to find dirt on Gareth Southgate or whoever the next poor sod is to get this post.

Yes £3 million a year is quite some softner to put yourself up for this kind of Public scrutiny , But as a football fan I cant see how its in the interest of the game to continually set out to destroy or undermine the national team manager.

Mother Theresa aint available anymore so just who do the Press want to do the job?

I think a great deal of the Malaise in modern football is down to constant media intrusion and involvement in areas not directly related to the sports themselves.

The elevation of sportsmen and women to celebrities and role models does absolutely nothing to actually aide those sports or their performances, it just helps to sell newspaper copy by reporting issues that should not and are not related to sporting performance, We need to segregate the two and focus on just sporting performances.

I acknowledge in this case there is a strong argument that if the England Manager can be so distracted by such issues then he is hardly concentrated on the proper job at hand. But I don't think proving this point was the motivation at hand here.

Still I bet Brad and Co are breathing a sigh of relief this morning!!!!!!!
  • pinno
    In essence, I agree TW but maybe the root cause is something different - a lack of structure in Engerlish footy, the emphasis on the PL etc, etc. There's no real hope. You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. We ain't world class and it would take an exceptional run and an exceptional group of players to get to a final.
  • slowmart
    As stated previously the investigation is wider than fat sam and frankly I would like to know the governing body, the FA, who incidentally receive between £30-40 of public funding don't have a robust governance structure in place. I'm at a loss why we need to support a corrupt structure which does/cannot regulate itself effectively.

Its not about the individuals which have been caught its the ambivalence and lack of leadership of the FA thats the over riding concern here. There have been plenty of warning signs, some private and some more overt that the FA had to put it's house in order. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36877406

No doubt pressure from government will be applied until the politicians see the changes they see fit.

Desmond Tutu
  • tim_wand
    Bloody hell. Governance from Government required , to stop people in privileged positions exploiting that position to make money outside of their primary role. Doesn't hold much hope does it!

There has to be a better way. When you look back at the shenanigans of Blatter et al at FIFA and now see things like this , it makes the whole game stink! Money has ruined football, but there seems no coherent way of making the sport pure again.

Why not let the Fans/ Public , elect an England team like in some kind of Fantasy football ballot. Or just use the OPTA stats to pick the 11 best players on form , for each game for each position! Take the politics and the personal interest out of it.

I know my suggestion is simplistic and naïve and would probably be sabotaged by the average Sun reader every game.
    But we would have no one to blame but ourselves. and no one feathering their own nests. Everything would be and should be on pure merit.

It cant get any worse than the current debacle.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I'm glad Allardyce is gone. Clearly The Daily Telegraph had him on their radar as a 'dodgy' character.
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank now exposed. It will be interesting to see who else is named..... Harry?, Fergie?

But my real joy in Allardyce 's departure, is that fingers crossed England might get a manager strong enough to resist the idiots running the FA and NOT pick Rooney. (Squadron of pigs just flown overhead ).
    I read this morning that said player is already seeking assurances from Southgate that he'll be selected.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • tim_wand
    If I was you Mr Goo , id be worried about a cascade effect of either Wenger getting the job and Howe moving to the Gooners or Howe getting the job direct. Either way first thing the manager needs to do is drop Rooney! Oh and obviously clear their diary for some after dinner speaking opportunities in the Far East.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    tim wand wrote:
    If I was you Mr Goo , id be worried about a cascade effect of either Wenger getting the job and Howe moving to the Gooners or Howe getting the job direct. Either way first thing the manager needs to do is drop Rooney! Oh and obviously clear their diary for some after dinner speaking opportunities in the Far East.

That could be a scenario that all Cherries supporters should be worried about. I have always thought that if Howe gets Cherries to middle of table in the second season, then it may be time for him to push on. Arsenal seemingly being a possible destination, however Simeone seems not to have renewed his contract. So could see him going to the Gooners.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • tim_wand
    I don't know how Howe operates at a " boardroom " interaction level. Seems very much a coach and a footballing man.
    An outsiders impression of Bournemouth would be a team that operates very much within its means , Some good solid signings and loans this season, but nothing too excessive despite 2 successive seasons in the Prem.

There seems no real rush or intention to develop Dean Court ( is it possible ), but a prem side with a sub 12,000 capacity either points to a very prudent/ frugal board or a lack of ambition ( I could be wrong I don't know a lot about your club )

Operating in those circumstances certainly makes Howe sound like a man that the Arsenal Board would very much Covet .

Simeone I feel would not be as Bidable to working in such a manner.
  • pinno
    Who say's Wenger is going?
  • tim_wand
    Who say's Wenger is going?

Pinno the original Thread title is " Let us Pray " need I say more :!: