The New Cl****al Car for the UK

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited September 2016 in The cake stop
It used to be that every Berkshire drove a BMW 3 series. M or M Sport being the holy grail for the knuckle daggers. But as a well journeyed driver on the UK's delightful highways and byways I've noticed that choice of car seems to be the Audi A5.

Any others out there as the choice automotive carriage for the discerning moron? Range Rover Sport is not included in this thread as that has its own category. See Merchant Bankers.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    M3 is a quality car to drive
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Flâneur wrote:
    M3 is a quality car to drive

I know. Nearly bought one earlier this year. But was put off by the pressurising nature of the sales rep.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Old Audis have certainly become what yobs with about £2000 to spend want to be seen in it seems. Massive increase in this in the last year or so from what I see. A couple of years back they all seemed to aspire to BMWs.

You do get more modern s/h Audi's being stretched to by slightly more financed prats too, that's happening for sure.

Barely anyone can get on the first time buyer ladder anymore so more seem to p1ss their money away on more expensive cars is what I reckon too.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Toyota Prius (pronounced with a silent r). Just because they are busy saving the planet doesn't mean they have to drive so ****ing slowly.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • For me it's any of the 4x4 pickups, especially the ones with a 4 seater cab and reduced size bed at the back. I encounter no end of them in the country lanes, both when I'm in the car and on the bike, they just plough on at silly speeds like they don't have to give an inch. They make drivers of expensive executive saloons look positively courteous and respectful.
  • If you're talking about dangerous drivers I worry less about knuckle draggers. It's young women in small cars especially fiat 500s. On my commute there are at least 2 who drive close or try to actually force me into the gutter if the opportunity comes up.

But the knuckle draggers tend to own double cab pick ups. Must be the high proportion of Irish gypsies round here. Mind you there's too many suv or crossovers too. Reckon they're a popular choice among older idiots. Penis cars (BMW z series cars) have gone as the mid life crisis car.

Audi cars in.white are possibly one of the most common car on the roads here. I don't know why the brand or the colour.
  • Audi seems to be the manufacturer that attracts idiots these days, and 4x4s have long been the favourite of the kn*bh**d since the introduction of the Range Rover, so the obvious no. 1 candidate is the Q7.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    For me it's any of the 4x4 pickups, especially the ones with a 4 seater cab and reduced size bed at the back. I encounter no end of them in the country lanes, both when I'm in the car and on the bike, they just plough on at silly speeds like they don't have to give an inch. They make drivers of expensive executive saloons look positively courteous and respectful.

This ^ and they are getting bigger and bigger.

The farmers are getting Farm Assured Milk around here which means they get a guaranteed minimum price. The one;s that aren't can negotiate with the Caledonian Cheese Factor by saying "If you don't give me this, i'll sign up to Nestle...".
    The upshot, is a plethora of Pick Ups - the one's that are red are the worst offenders. Now I think the Farmer has one, his 2 sons have one, his wife and his daughters have one. So that's at least 5 or 6 per household.
    ...and they do, they drive like morons. The one's who are poor drive old Hi Lux's like they have IBS because they don't want to be shown up by the richer oiks in the gleaming Nissoyota clone wagons.

In the middle there's me, or at least not in the middle, in the ditch.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Bastards they are, the bloody lot of them...

37ABB52A-F7C9-4E8F-A877-8405A9DBE50F_zpszkhxu9dx.jpg
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    F*cking white and immaculate too. Basket. Why isn't it covered from sill to roof in sh1t and mud?

You didn't strike me as someone with an agricultural tendencies HD.
  • Stevo_666
    If you're gonna do it, do it properly...

Uplift.JPG
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Ooh look at that. A multi crud bike collection for scrapping facility, excellent idea.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Ooh look at that. A multi crud bike collection for scrapping facility, excellent idea.
    Trailer to heaven...

I was booked to be there today :|
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Trailer to heaven...

I was booked to be there today :|

Won't be long. Only, slightly muddier than it would have been this time around.

At least you're local bike scrubber will get work...and so will the landlady...and maybe Brecon A&E.
  • Stevo_666
    Cheeky sod, I scrub my own bike.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Not been there yet! Picking up another MTB for winter I reckon and hit up the trail centres. Not done MTB for a couple of years. So will no doubt try and ride like I could several years ago and kill myself ;)

Lots of idiots in lots of different cars. In the past 2 years I have had an M3, now have an Audi and also a Golf R32. Must make me a massive c-unit
  • pinno
    twist83 wrote:
    Lots of idiots in lots of different cars. In the past 2 years I have had an M3, now have an Audi and also a Golf R32. Must make me a massive c-unit

...and your favourite one out of the 3 is?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Not quite the same but soft roaders, usually black ones. Seemingly essential for the school run. Not usually aggressively driven, just with absolutely no awareness of the world around them. The stupid bints should be made to drive with a child strapped to each corner then they might be a bit more fookin' careful.
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Not quite the same but soft roaders, usually black ones. Seemingly essential for the school run. Not usually aggressively driven, just with absolutely no awareness of the world around them. The stupid bints should be made to drive with a child strapped to each corner then they might be a bit more fookin' careful.

It's a modern phenomenon:

I have a big 4 x 4. I am safe from the world, it's comfortable, it's quiet, I sit above everyone in my Range Rover Vogue with it's air bags and side impact protection. I'm safe - but no one else is. It's an attitude of 'i'm all right jack'.
  • twist83
    Well the Audi is just a 1.4 A1. Company car.

I loved the M3 (Was an E46) but had an E90 many years ago. Semi regret selling the M3. The R32 is a Mk5. So the last of the NA 3.2's. I must admit I do love the car. Not as involving but then I will put my hands up and say I am no pro driver so the M3 was a handful at times.

I find the R32 a better all rounder to be honest and really enjoy driving it. Cheaper to run as well bar the Tax.

Would recommend either. The E90 was good but is much better with the DCT box. Sound was amazing in that though. Running costs not so much.
    Pinno wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

...and your favourite one out of the 3 is?
  • pinno
    @twist83 I drove my friends 2.2 Golf Tdi - f*cking quick, 6 speed manual but front wheel drive just doesn't feel right one you've driven rear wheel drive. My SAAB was totally let down by the fact that it was front wheel drive. I think my next car will be a bee em wobble u. Doubt it will be an 'M' badge and I love auto's.
    I have never considered an Audi - a lot of people say that if it isn't an S badge, they're dull.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Pinno wrote:
    I have never considered an Audi - a lot of people say that if it isn't an S badge, they're dull.
    Mine is duller than ditchwater.
  • twist83
    I quite like the A1. It is what it is. Comfy place to be.

Whoever said that get them to drive an RS4, RS6, RS3 or any of that Ilk. Far from boring.

I have had the pleasure of borrowing a friends 2016 RS6 for the weekend. Absolute weapon that you can carry around the dog and a fullsize fridge in haha. Twin Turbo V8 sounds sublime.

As for the BMW they are decent fun providing you can pilot a car well.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    twist83 wrote:
    I quite like the A1. It is what it is. Comfy place to be.

Whoever said that get them to drive an RS4, RS6, RS3 or any of that Ilk. Far from boring.

I have had the pleasure of borrowing a friends 2016 RS6 for the weekend. Absolute weapon that you can carry around the dog and a fullsize fridge in haha. Twin Turbo V8 sounds sublime.

As for the BMW they are decent fun providing you can pilot a car well.
    I guess something was lost in translation.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.