Tyres and cuts

thebikeboy16
thebikeboy16 Posts: 108
edited September 2016 in Workshop
I live in north London in a built-up area. I got a flat tyre in an audax (very frustrating) and recently changed a pair of 25cc Conti Gatorskins. There were several cuts in the tyres (presumably from glass of varying size, flints, nails etc.). I don't have photos to show you.

An audaxer helpfully stopped on route and showed me how to change a tyre properly (saving my ride!). He said I should buy a pair of Schalwbe Marathon Plus (26 or 28cc or the like). After shopping around I decided to buy Hardshells. The problem is... after having fitted them less than 6 weeks ago there are already cuts in the rear tyres! What is the solution?

PS. I didn't have the previous Gatorskins for that long...

Comments

• I superglue them, although some advise against this it's never caused me a problem
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Thanks... I was already removing glass etc.

I had thought about superglue. I will start using it.
  • dnwhite88 wrote:
    I superglue them, although some advise against this it's never caused me a problem
    I've found that the problem with using superglue is that it is completely hard and rigid when dried, and so the superglue filling the cut can itself be forced through the tyre and cause a puncture as if it were a piece of glass.

I use shoe goo, which you should be able to get a a shoe/boot repair place. As it's intended for repairing rubber soles, it stays flexible when cured, much the same consistency as the surrounding rubber in the tyre. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to remove any glass or stones from cuts, and then use the same implement to work the shoe goo into the cut. A tube of it will last a loong time provided you cap it quickly after use and don't leave any air in the tube.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    I live in north London in a built-up area. I got a flat tyre in an audax (very frustrating) and recently changed a pair of 25cc Conti Gatorskins. There were several cuts in the tyres (presumably from glass of varying size, flints, nails etc.). I don't have photos to show you.

An audaxer helpfully stopped on route and showed me how to change a tyre properly (saving my ride!). He said I should buy a pair of Schalwbe Marathon Plus (26 or 28cc or the like). After shopping around I decided to buy Hardshells. The problem is this... after having fitted them less than 6 weeks ago there are already cuts in the rear tyres! What is the solution to this problem?

PS. I didn't have the previous Gatorskins for that long...

It depends on how bad the cut is. If it is just in the rubber, then it really isn't a problem. If it goes through the casing of the tyre, then that is more seriosus. But really, cuts in the rubber... just pick any filnts of glass out after each ride, and ride on.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    ^ wot he said. Filling cuts with superglue is at best pointless, and can be counter productive.

If the cuts don't penetrate the casing just remove any debris and carry on. Once you've sliced through the casing it's a different matter
  • +1 for Shoe Goo. Seems to provide a durable repair to small cuts. You can find it on Amazon or Fleabay.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    For cuts that go right through the tyre or sidewall I patch the inside of the tyre with a puncture repair patch (the regaular rubber ones) and then put a Park Tool self sticking patch on top of it. Then I use Loctite 401 rubber glue on the outside to cover the cut/hole. Its black and sets like rubber.
  • Shoo goo it is for the timebeing...