Decathlon own wheels

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi, I only ride my bike on commute to work along a cycle track, 20 mile round trip. My old shimano wheels have seen better days and want a cheap but decent replacement, was thinking of Decathlon's own brand 700 aero wheels Can get the pair for £95, these any good for a budget upgrade?
This is them
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-aero-roa ... 34627.html

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    1760 grams it claims, was expecting more like 2000.

Superstar did have some wheels that were around 1650g, for less than £100, but I can't see them on the site anymore.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Nearly 100g heavier, but yes if it were my money, for what you need, I would go Shimano - the R500\R501's just go on and on and on, so I can't see any obvious reason why these would be different.

Decent price as well, and don't forget topcashback or similar for a bit extra off.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Planet X have some cracking deals on wheels at the moment all with 20% off which makes them even better
  • Forget weight for the use the OP is looking at. when buying wheels please think about is the hub going to be reliable. Is it well built (not so important if the wheel is cheap but important enough) and are spares for the hub (freehubs) available and reasonably priced. Buying wheels based on weight +/-200g is rather pointless.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Be very careful with the DC own wheels. I had a set on the BTWIN 500SE, and the hubs& freehub died after 6 months of winter riding due to water ingress past the seals.
    They acknowledged the problem and provided free replacements, but my confidence in them is a little shot.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Think these decathlon wheels are a fair step up from those on your bike
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Be very careful with the DC own wheels. I had a set on the BTWIN 500SE, and the hubs& freehub died after 6 months of winter riding due to water ingress past the seals.
    They acknowledged the problem and provided free replacements, but my confidence in them is a little shot.

This happened to me on my Triban 5 in a few months of winter riding. I got some free replacements which were better quality and lighters. They've done two winters so far.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Think these decathlon wheels are a fair step up from those on your bike

How do you come to that conclusion?

What wheels does he currently have (apart from the brand name Shimano he doesn't say)?

What features of the Decathlon wheels makes them a 'fair step up'?

What are you comparing them to?

What components do the Decathlon wheels use? Hubs especially?

What makes them suitable to the OPs intended use?

I fail to see that you have offered any meaningful advice.

PP
  • daniel_b
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:

What wheels does he currently have (apart from the brand name Shimano he doesn't say)?

PP

He IS the OP.

He is suggesting that the wheels he has linked to as considering buying, are a 'fair step up' from the stock wheels that were found on Wolfsbanes2k's Decathlon bike.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:

PP

He IS the OP.

He is suggesting that the wheels he has linked to as considering buying, are a 'fair step up' from the stock wheels that were found on Wolfsbanes2k's Decathlon bike.

Cheers Daniel for clearing this up for PP :lol:
  • shiznit76 wrote:

Ah, yes, looking at it the ones I had were the 700 Triban wheels, not the 700 Aero wheels.
    The aeros appear to have cartridge bearings hubs, unlike the 700 tribans.

Still, something that's probably worth "watching".
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Oh yes, my bad! ;-)

PP
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Be very careful with the DC own wheels. I had a set on the BTWIN 500SE, and the hubs& freehub died after 6 months of winter riding due to water ingress past the seals.

Interesting, that front hub looks remarkably like the one in my Campagnolo Zonda. Don't know about the innards though.