Please recommend me a frameset

Slimtim
Slimtim Posts: 1,042
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
I would be grateful for suggestions of of the peg framesets which fit the following bill and I could hunt down in the coming end of season sales.

I know the geometry I need, but would prefer not to go down the custom route if possible. I am relatively tall with disproportionally long legs, and at 48 starting to lose some flex!

My ideal bike would have a toptube of 54cm c-c and a headtube of 16.5-17cm (as frontal length is also conditioned by headset and the fork shape, it is useful perhaps to also consider the distance from the centre of the fork dropout to the end of the steerer which needs to be 60-61 with a maximum of 2cm of spacers under the stem when fitted - hopefully you can imagine that!). Seat and headtube angles 73 degrees.

I have a custom steel frame which fits like a glove (although wasn't made for me - lucky ebay find) so I know these are the right measurement.

Weight is the final consideration. My current 'best bike' frameset is 1480g for frame, forks and headset and I'd like to stay within that region.

Usage will be fast group rides,sportives, Alps trips, etc.

Price is always a factor but finding something that matches the spec above is more important.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Have you tried looking in a bike shop?

The geometry you describe is relatively common on so-called 'endurance' frames, so I would suggest going to try some out at a few LBSs.

Although your current bike appears to you to have a geometry that suits, I wouldn't get too anal about trying to replicate it exactly. It's possible to achieve a good fit on a similar sized frame, even if the actual geometry differs slightly.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    As a guess, something like a Trek Domane 54, with a cm shorter stem than you have at the moment might work.

It would need a shorter stem as the seat angle is higher. A lot of bikes in that ETT will have a higher seat angle than 73 by the way (when this happens on a seatpost with the same amount of layback your saddle will go back on the rails to cancel out the seat clamp being more forward). It has a 16cm HT but the BB Drop is quite a lot, so the HT doesn't need to be quite as tall to effectively be as tall.

You haven't mentioned your stem length at the moment though, or the BB drop of your bike.

Remember it is more about your fit than the bike's geometry. Are you 100% convinced your fit is correct? If so it is a question of which bikes you can map that fit onto, it is not about getting the exact same geometry, especially when choice is sparse.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Cannondale Synapse either alloy or carbon could be an option. The 54cm frame has a 542mm top tube and a 166mm head tube.

C16_geo_synapse.ashx?vs=1&d=20150826T230951Z

Trek Domane is also close to your requirements

http://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes ... 77100-2017

54 frame has a 542mm top tube and a 160mm head tube
  • Slimtim
    Slimtim Posts: 1,042
    Thanks for the feedback so far ('visit your LBS' being obvious but then what would be the point of having this thread?!).

Yes, I'd put the Trek on my shortlist but does anyone have experience of the flexi bits of this frameset? Looks like something that could be a fad and will become unsupported by Trek just as it fails?

The Cannondale is also a good call.
  • Slimtim wrote:

Yes, I'd put the Trek on my shortlist but does anyone have experience of the flexi bits of this frameset? Looks like something that could be a fad and will become unsupported by Trek just as it fails?

The Cannondale is also a good call.

Eh?!
    If its the isospeed decoupler you are talking about, then its widely regarded as a fantastic solution, now used widely on the Domane, Emonda and even the Madone as far as I know and I haven't heard of any issue regarding failures.

Check this post for more Domane based information - all I can say is you would not regret the purchase! :)
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13070487