Brexit connundrum

darkhairedlord
darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
edited September 2016 in The cake stop
Ok, with all the brexit nonsense floating about it might be time to anglicise the bike.
Should I be swapping the Continental style left hand front braking setup to post brexit right hander or should I stand resolute in the face of UKIP intimidation?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Enough with the trolling already. :roll:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    @DHL, if you weaken and anglicise your bike it will have a material effect on the handling. The stability will go and have induced Boris like wobbles at any point due to a very little pressure being applied and you will also have a massive self induced tendency for turning right, even along striaight roads which means you"ll end up making a British cycle shape hole in the hedges every few metres. Any guarantee from government to support for you medical needs will evaporate as soon as you acquire said parts and no one will want to explain why when your lying bleeding in the road that the investment has instead go on farming subsidies.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Depends if you are going for a hard or soft brexit. You may also wish to consider throwing all the Campag out and replacing it stuff from a more desirable international partner - eg Chinese kit made from Elephant tusks.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I don't have campag, almost got it on over the summer but could't justify the cost of campag cassettes. Yes, it works fine with shimano cassettes but I would know. It's just the brake handing I am worried about, I got some swivel-eyed glarey looks yesterday and cut up by a UKIP badged Renault only this morning. Will it be compatible when we abandon metric tarmac and go back to £,s & d.
  • I don't have campag, almost got it on over the summer but could't justify the cost of campag cassettes. Yes, it works fine with shimano cassettes but I would know. It's just the brake handing I am worried about, I got some swivel-eyed glarey looks yesterday and cut up by a UKIP badged Renault only this morning. Will it be compatible when we abandon metric tarmac and go back to £,s & d.

I didn't think about the metric issue... back to pounds and ounces in supermarkets? Probably not, even Canada moved to metric
    left the forum March 2023
  • I'm looking forward to people moving away from using the french word for things.

Also both distance and speed should be measured in miles and MPH.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I don't have campag, almost got it on over the summer but could't justify the cost of campag cassettes. Yes, it works fine with shimano cassettes but I would know. It's just the brake handing I am worried about, I got some swivel-eyed glarey looks yesterday and cut up by a UKIP badged Renault only this morning. Will it be compatible when we abandon metric tarmac and go back to £,s & d.

And so your credibility is lost. UKIP would not be driving a foreign vehicle.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    mamil314 wrote:
    I don't have campag, almost got it on over the summer but could't justify the cost of campag cassettes. Yes, it works fine with shimano cassettes but I would know. It's just the brake handing I am worried about, I got some swivel-eyed glarey looks yesterday and cut up by a UKIP badged Renault only this morning. Will it be compatible when we abandon metric tarmac and go back to £,s & d.

Yes they only drive British cars like... erm...uh.. Black Cabs?
  • mrfpb wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:

Yes they only drive British cars like... erm...uh.. Black Cabs?

The ukip stickered car around Bournemouth has always been a Nissan micra, way back when they first appeared around here. So yes, ukip do drive renaults .
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    What bike for a ukiper if any?

BSO from argos or mercian 531 with brooks saddle?
  • StillGoing
    Moonbiker wrote:

Merida and a big German 4x4 SFY! :roll:
  • What is sfy?
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Moonbiker wrote:

Merida and a big German 4x4 SFY! :roll:

Farage drives a Volvo and rides an old German bike if that helps.
  • Your post har brexit bike should be a mercian or bob jackson, maybe an old Raleigh with a Brooks saddle and GB bars stem and post with Royce track drivetrain.

Struggling with the concept of farage riding a bike. Fag in one hand, pint in the other.... how does he get round corners?
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • StillGoing
    Whether this is light hearted fun or a brainwashed Remoaner dig, shouldn't it be in Cake Stop with the rest of such rubbish?
  • Struggling with the concept of farage riding a bike. Fag in one hand, pint in the other.... how does he get round corners?
    Clever Dick. The fag doesn't leave his mouth so he has a hand free.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Your post har brexit bike should be a mercian or bob jackson, maybe an old Raleigh with a Brooks saddle and GB bars stem and post with Royce track drivetrain.

What, that new fangled Continental influenced rubbish? The UKIP bike would be a basket equipped Raleigh Roadster from the 1950s with a Sturmey 3 speed at best. You're not in a hurry when every day is a sunny day in summer.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Whether this is light hearted fun or a brainwashed Remoaner dig, shouldn't it be in Cake Stop with the rest of such rubbish?

No, its about preferred setup of road bicycle brakes and whether the decision is socially motivated.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Farage drives a Volvo and rides an old German bike if that helps.
    You can't talk about his wife like that. :lol:
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Aren't Brooks owned by Selle Italia nowadays?