Cycle show NEC

Danieljephcott
Danieljephcott Posts: 334
edited September 2016 in MTB general
Hello all,

Anyone been to the cycle show? Is it worth a visit.

I'm looking for a fs bike and wondering if some bargains can be had?

Regards

Dan

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I won't pay to get into a glorified shop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I was hoping to find out if bikes are discounted at the show. Most shows ive been to even though car related normally give good discounts at the show.

ill pay £13 any day if i can get an extra few hundred off a bike, also hard to find a shop that has all those brands in.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's basically to show off new stuff, not flog old stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No discounts on bikes (last two years) at the show apart from on-one last time I went (and not huge).

They can't bring bikes to the show to sell (totally impractical) so it would have to be shipped, as most on-one are sold via shipping I guess that works for them, take order and then ship.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It's all new 2017 kit at the show so discounts are unlikely.
  • Thanks for the info. At least I'll try the bikes on and check out some new bits :)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I was there on the Sunday afternoon last year and picked up a few clothing bargains.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The Rookie
    Unfourtuanely the MTB demo track this year is sponsored by Trek, so only Trek bikes to ride, which seems to massively miss the point of the demo track.

Able to confirm that 27.5+ is not for me and although I liked the Remedy it still felt far to mushy at the back.

Got a free ticket which was the only reason I went, it's chasing the money too much and I reckon will start to decline as people get turned off.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah that was a pain I was hoping to test a couple of bikes. Did you try out an E bike. Weird and not a fan but blimey they pick up on full power.

I thought the show was actually quite good, I enjoyed it anyway :)
  • The Rookie
    Didn't ride any e-bikes, I've tried a few road legal ones and have nowhere to ride a non road legal one.
  • I was having a good drool over the the new Carbon Transition Scout in grey,and Hope's new cabon bike,it looks the mutts nuts seen in the flesh,liked the the way Whyte had all the T130 models there,and some lovely Ti bikes there as well,but as for a show not as good as it was about 15 years ago,wasn't let down but still wasn't going to do backflips about it,just the 3hr drive both ways is a bit much
  • The Rookie
    I wouldn't pay to go anymore, too mch pandering to small retailers trying to flog 'add ons' and not enough about the bikes, the MTB test track is now even less relevant (given the limitations it was never massively relevant but did give a flavour of a bike) than it was.
    Last year for me travel was cheap, this year the station car park is now paid at the weekend so a means of avoiding that £5 is needed if I decide to go again!
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Went to London show two years back - waste of time and money!!

Won't go again.