Cantis driving me mad

dav_safc
dav_safc Posts: 59
edited September 2016 in Workshop
All, I have just bought 2 pr of Swisstop Vikings for my Long Haul Trucker
First pair went on easy 10 days ago.
Today I have wasted 3 (lost to actual cycling) hours trying to align the front brake. Squeals like a banshee.
Here is what I know:

a) pads hit the rim flush
b) toe in sorted, I found a tip using a 1p coin to get this right
c)rims cleaned with Muc-off and water
d) The old pads were Jagwire and did not seem that badly worn, they squealed badly at the end of a recent 4 day tour
e) pretty well centred; neither of the Tektro branded arms seem to be doing too much in comparison to the other

Any tips to save me from embarrassing trip to LBS next weekend? Please!
You might have guessed the Swisstop pads did not come from LBS

Thanks, David

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you cleaned the rim with a decent cleaner such as alcohol?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Have you cleaned the rim with a decent cleaner such as alcohol?[/quote

Thanks for input. I have found a fairly decent vid on Park Tools YouTube fees. Gonna try to follow to the letter and see where that gets me to.
    Cheers, David
  • What is the cable end stop ( where the outer stops) fixed to. Often the fix is to the handlebar extension, or the fork column above the head set. I've found a real improvement using the type that fixes to a bolt through the centre of the fork crown.
    You might also want to " toe-in" the brake blocks ( there are You- tube clips), although over a week or so of riding the wear will get the blocks about right anyway.
  • dav_safc wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Have you cleaned the rim with a decent cleaner such as alcohol?

Thanks for input. I have found a fairly decent vid on Park Tools YouTube fees. Gonna try to follow to the letter and see where that gets me to.
    Cheers, David
    I find one of these things does the best job to "fix" squealing rims.. dunno where you get them now as CRC and Evans both show discontinued, but they are *very* good for this sort of problem.

mavic-rim-cleaning-block-na-EV223515-9999-1.jpg

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-au/mavic-rim-cleaning-block-EV223515
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS