Help with computer pse

FishFish
FishFish Posts: 2,152
edited October 2016 in The hub
Whenever I go to 'downloads' and try to sort by date a green line goes from left to right taking about a minute before the sequence is sorted by date. This is every time. I have about 12 pages of downloads. Also happens with the pictures folder. Is there a way of speeding this up? I seem to remember something about indexing in previous os but can't work it out. I have Win10 on a 64 bit Lenovo < 1yr old. Many thanks if you can help - since I was redundant I don't have access to an IT.
...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:

Comments

• Have you seen if your hard drive needs defragging?
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    You can check if indexing is turned on by going to This PC, right click on the drive (Local Disk (C:)), Properties and there is a tick box near the bottom in the General tab.

12 pages of downloads is quite a lot though and I've noticed newer versions of windows tends to be slower at these things than XP used to be. Maybe time to clean up your downloads folder?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Many thanks for the advice and I'll try what you have suggested. I agree on the point that Windows is getting slower and wonder what the end point on the intrusive Win10 / Bing data collection is going to be. To anonmise and switch off identity is important if using public access points and used to be fairly simple but now you need to do major edits in the config files and with the latest Win10 update all of the technical advice on doing so is risky new ground. I've started using a VPN all of the time as a security work round and an interesting by product I learned from using my work VPN is that my local (copper) broadband speed went up from 4 to 14 MB/s even if the exit node was in HK or Sweden! At least that gives password encryption if nothing else.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: