Degrees of "Float" with SPD-SL cleats

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited September 2016 in Road general
As a recent convert to the joys of SPD-SL (why did no one tell me they're easier to clip into than single sided SPDs?) I'm a bit surprised that there's more "float" (lateral rotation before you start to unclip) than the old SPDs. It's not causing any problems, apart from making wonder why roadies need more float than MTBers. Does anyone know why this is?
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• Giraffoto wrote:
    As a recent convert to the joys of SPD-SL (why did no one tell me they're easier to clip into than single sided SPDs?) I'm a bit surprised that there's more "float" (lateral rotation before you start to unclip) than the old SPDs. It's not causing any problems, apart from making wonder why roadies need more float than MTBers. Does anyone know why this is?
    I take it you're using the yellow Shimano cleats? There are blue and red cleats too, which offer 2 degrees and 0 degrees of float respectively. The yellow ones have 6 degrees. Something for everyone!

Maybe having 6 degrees as standard is because you're a lot more static on a road bike compared to an average MTB ride, so there's a lot more repetetive movement where a bit of float is beneficial. Or something.
  • No need to faff about being super-accurate with alignment as the flaot will take it out. T'is useful since they wear out so quickly compared to SPDs.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    edited September 2016
    I suspect the reason the 6 degree yellows are supplied as the default isn't necessarily because they're the most suited for road cycling, but because you can have issues with coming unclipped in the blues and reds if they're not well-aligned and/or you have a lot of lateral ankle movement in your pedal stroke. If your knees move outwards or inwards as you pedal the foot will almost certainly twist to compensate; same thing if you have your saddle too high and you're rocking your hips and/or pointing your toes at the bottom of the pedal stroke (as roadies all too often do) this will induce some degree of ankle torsion too. If these are happening and you have snug shoes, with little or no float available your cleat will simply pop out of the pedal every few pedal strokes.

I've encountered this problem myself and heard it from a few other people when trying the lower float cleats. From Shimano's perspective this could mean a lot of frustrated customers and returned sets of pedals, so they stick the yellow cleats in the box to minimise issues.

I've tried the yellow, blue and red Shimano cleats and have settled on the blues; obviously a lot of the choice comes down to personal preference, but it's worth experimenting given how cheap they are. I tried switching back to the yellows when I got some new shoes recently but it felt so sloppy having that much float that they only lasted a couple of sessions on the turbo and I went back to the trusty blues.
  • Bobke says:

"Zero Float"
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    dhungerf wrote:
    Bobke says:

"Zero Float"

The nearest I've ever got to zero float is with spiked pedals and flat soled shoes - SPDs have a bit of float but not as much as the SPD-SL. When I've worn these cleats out I might try the blue ones.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • I normally used blue cleats, but tried the red ones recently. They're not really zero float in the sense that the spring in the pedal has a bit of give anyway. But they didn't seem to have enough float for me, and I went back to the blues.
    I think yellow would feel to sloppy for me.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I have only ever used yellow probably due to them coming with the pedals. I might try blue next time. Red are a definite no no for me I think.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,965
    I became a blue convert last year