Sizing trouble with my 2016 Scott Scale

neil_uk
neil_uk Posts: 289
edited September 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I decided to finally venture into 29er territory and purchased a 2016 Scott Scale 960.

When I was in the shop I sat on the medium frame (17), and although I didn't ride it - it felt too small and I noticed in the mirror that I was very 'upright' on the bike.

I ordered a size large (19) from them which came this yesterday. I'm now wondering if maybe I should have chosen the medium???

It's my friends fault! He asked me to put my elbow on the saddle nose and this meant my longest finger tip just reached the steering nut. He told me that my finger tip should reach hallway along the stem?? is this correct??

The bike seems ok.... cycling up and down the street - but I don't want to get it 'worn' if I may have to return it.

I know fit is all about personal choice and going on long test rides etc.... but what do you think?

Sorry - I know this type of question is getting a bit old, it's just that I don't want to regret spending my money.

Cheers
Neil

ps. I am 5'10.5, and 33 inseam

Comments

• I've got the same bike in a large, I'm exactly 6 foot and it's perfect for me, strangely though I tried an Aspect and I was a medium on that!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is your friend a roadie or something?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hmm average height and average length leg and you went for a large, bigger isn't always better!

If you can I'd exchange for a medium I think.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • You say 'ok', but you clearly have a niggle in your mind.
    What feels wrong with it?
    (I have a friend who is 5ft5 who rides a medium as that is what he likes. I'm 6ft 2 and ride a medium too.)
    Don't get too worried about the frame size, unless it feels 'wrong'.
    It took me a little while to get used to the different geometry that came with the larger wheel size.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • neil_uk wrote:

It's my friends fault! He asked me to put my elbow on the saddle nose and this meant my longest finger tip just reached the steering nut. He told me that my finger tip should reach hallway along the stem?? is this correct??

Might work for a road bike but not a mountain bike.
  • What's the numbers compared with your previous bike? Between m and l sized bikes, especially hard tails there is only 20 - 35 mm difference in tt length, nothing that can't be fixed with a shorter stem. On the other hand if the seat tube height is too much for your leg lentgh you'll need a shorter frame.
    So if it's just a nigle in your mind, then give it some time, bigger in this situation is better
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • neil_uk
    neil_uk Posts: 289
    Thanks for the feedback lads! To be honest I think the niggle was mostly my mate putting 'doubt' in my mind, and the slightly strange sensation of the bigger wheels.

I nipped into my Local Evans this evening and again sat on the medium and 'tried' to ride it! My torso was almost vertical, my knees hit the bars on a slow tight turn, and it was just wrong.

I never thought about comparing the virtual top length against my existing bike (even though now it seemed like the obvious thing to do lol). The new bike is only 10mm longer.

Anyway - the large is definitely the right bike! I guess I just needed to put my mind at rest :) Although I might swap the 90mm stem for a slightly shorter one.

Thanks again!
    Neil
  • facts over feeling
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut