First time Maxle

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited September 2016 in MTB buying advice
Got new lowers on the way for the damaged Reba's with the only compromise being the new lowers take a 15mm Maxle instead of a QR.

So I'll need to invest in a Maxle. Should I just go for the cheapest or are there more complexities? (New wheel on the way too)
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• Go for a maxle ultimate.
  • Maxles will help your front suspension feel a lot stiffer. I was really surprised how much better my bike felt.
    Don't know how much you will save - all seem to be priced around the same amount for the same product.
    Ultimate is machined through the middle for a very minor weight saving over something like a maxle lite. For someone as hefty as me, it means f-all, so I went for some Lites.
    (Not sure about relative strengths - all of the videos tend to be marketing bumpf.)
    That said, I smashed my wheelset and broke my forks last year and the only thing I could salvage was the maxle. :(
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • larkim
    So Lite is heavier than Ultimate?!! Hmmm...

Anyway, Ultimate in my cart at Evans, combined with a better wheel and a serviced (and fully functioning) set of forks, looking forward to a "brand new" front end. Though as the bike is being ridden by a 16 year old, wonder if he'll actually noticed the difference!
  • The maxle ultimate has a much more durable locking mechanism than the lite.
    Through axles don't make the suspension stiffer at all. They help reduce twisting flex in the fork which makes it easier to hold a line over rough ground. The front wheel will keep pointing in the same direction as the bars. With a fork like the Reba you will still have some flex though, it's not a particularly rigid fork.
  • larkim
    Thanks that's really helpful - durability is a perfect feature for a component on a bike put in my son's hands.
  • The maxle lite has a thin aluminium collar which wears through repeated use and becomes difficult to use. It's a crap design.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The maxle lite has a thin aluminium collar which wears through repeated use and becomes difficult to use. It's a crap design.

I noticed that on some recons I have on hardtail bike that the slot you put the lever in to unscrew it has become worn, the Maxle on my mega forks is a different design which seems better, think it's Maxle lite.

I need a new one for rear on my mega though as doesn't seem to do up tight as I'd like, think I'll buy a rear Maxle ultimate.