Full suspension bike for around £2000, what, when and where

Danieljephcott
Danieljephcott Posts: 334
edited September 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,

I've had my hardtail now for a few months, I paid hardly anything for it and it's fantastic. With being made redundant and also selling my pride and joy (mk1 golf gti cabby) I will be treating myself to a full suspension bike. My hardtail will be getting some hybrids on and will become my week day road bike.

I was going to put some money aside and buy a new bike around Easter time next year but I'm thinking it might not be the best time to buy. Would I get a better deal buying a bike before Christmas?

My next thing is what bike. I will go and try a few on but at the £2000 range there is so much out there.

I'm looking for a bike for trail riding so 140-160mm travel is all I'd need. I'm not quite sure why but I'd love a carbon bike. Apart from that I have no preference, I just want what's best.

What would really help is maybe what suspension should I be looking for and what drivetrain etc.

Some advice would be great.

Thanks

Dan

Comments

• Congratulations on getting rid of the German rust bucket!
    On your budget I'd be going for either a Giant Trance or a Rose Granite Chief.
    The Giant has an absolutely brilliant frame and one of the best rear suspension set ups available.
    The Rose is great value for money and an excellent ride. Also lots of options for customisation when you order it.
  • Haha yes they are rust buckets however mine was/is immaculate.

Thanks for the info I'll check out the specs on them. I'm hoping to get a bike worth around the £3k mark but discounted to around £2k mark. That's the plan anyway.
  • Just because it's heavily discounted doesn't mean you're getting a good deal.
    A lot of bikes with big discounts are models that they couldn't shift because their either overpriced or just not very good.
    The Rose I suggested, even at full price is as good as a Specialized Stumpjumper or Orange Five costing a grand more.
  • That's a good point.

Org bikes look great. I think for the same price the difference I can see is that the suspension on the trance is a fox float and the granite is the rock shox rt3rear with pike front.

Other difference is the trance has slx and the granite has the xt.

Both roughly same price.
  • It's the linkage design that makes the Trance so good. It's extremely efficient when pedalling but still very active when you need it.
  • This actually looks like a great price and that colour is amazing.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2016_Bike
  • A little over budget but this is amazing for the price
    https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/granit ... aid:775461
  • I don't seem much difference between that and his:

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-g ... aid:816210
  • The difference is that I didn't see that one!
    One of my mates has that one, he loves it. I was quite impressed when I tried it as well.
  • Hello all,

I've had my hardtail now for a few months, I paid hardly anything for it and it's fantastic. With being made redundant and also selling my pride and joy (mk1 golf gti cabby) I will be treating myself to a full suspension bike. My hardtail will be getting some hybrids on and will become my week day road bike.

I was going to put some money aside and buy a new bike around Easter time next year but I'm thinking it might not be the best time to buy. Would I get a better deal buying a bike before Christmas?

My next thing is what bike. I will go and try a few on but at the £2000 range there is so much out there.

I'm looking for a bike for trail riding so 140-160mm travel is all I'd need. I'm not quite sure why but I'd love a carbon bike. Apart from that I have no preference, I just want what's best.

What would really help is maybe what suspension should I be looking for and what drivetrain etc.

Thanks

Dan

I've just bought a Cannodale Habbit 4 for £1679 and upgraded the groupset to full XT for £380.

Read the reviews, the bike gets just mega write ups and is fantastic out the box but with the XT kit it's just perfect.

IMAG1394_zpsydtwspve.jpg
  • Hello all,

Thanks

Dan

I've just bought a Cannodale Habbit 4 for £1679 and upgraded the groupset to full XT for £380.

Read the reviews, the bike gets just mega write ups and is fantastic out the box but with the XT kit it's just perfect.

IMAG1394_zpsydtwspve.jpg

Nice. But no dropper post?
  • Lefty fork isn't the most durable either. Great when they work though.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I have recently bought a 2016 Trance 2 and did Follow the Dog on it last Friday: perfect bike for it. As others have said the Maestro rear suspension is great uphill and downhill.
    There are some good deals to be had on 2016 Trances at the moment so I'd recommend one.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009