Sigma frames

london-red
london-red Posts: 1,266
edited September 2016 in Commuting chat
Evening all - so, does anyone know anything about Sigma frames?

I picked up the fine specimen below from the clearance sale because, well, CJ told me to, and now I'm in the midst of building her up. I've got to admit to always liking the carbon rear triangle look, so this baby has satisfied a long-standing, faint and totally irrational itch if I'm being honest. It will become an alternative to the Sunday best and used on the commute when I want more than one gear.

Anyway, I spoke to Jason at SS who said it was hand built in Italy, and from what I can tell this could be a framebuilder called Billato. Other than that, I assume it's aluminium, because of the fancy downtube treatment, but that's about it.

Any help to satisfy my inner nerd would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1922.jpg
IMG_1923.jpg
IMG_1924.jpg

Cheers

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Nice looking frame, probably been around a while in SS' store room as I haven't seen a carbon rear end (oo-err) in yonks.

Tyre clearance looks hilariously tight, suspect they are 25mm tyres? Might be 23s only :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • london-red
    Thanks. Tyre clearance is actually not so bad - the photo is probably misrepresenting it. The tyres are 25mm, but have plenty of room.

As for the frame's age, yes definitely been around for a while - I think it's around 2005/06 and has been in a box somewhere for the last 10 years...
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991

London-Red wrote:
    Thanks. Tyre clearance is actually not so bad - the photo is probably misrepresenting it. The tyres are 25mm, but have plenty of room.

As for the frame's age, yes definitely been around for a while - I think it's around 2005/06 and has been in a box somewhere for the last 10 years...
    I bought a Lemond (Trek) new in 2005 with similar arrangement, Lemond Chambery it was, they called it "ACDC": Aluminium Carbon Dual Composite or similar.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • london-red
    rower63 wrote:

London-Red wrote:

I bought a Lemond (Trek) new in 2005 with similar arrangement, Lemond Chambery it was, they called it "ACDC": Aluminium Carbon Dual Composite or similar.

Okay, thanks - apparently, this uses some flavour of Dedacciai tubing, but can't seem to work that one out either. From memory, I think he mentioned Dedacciai Fire, but could be wrong..
  • London-Red wrote:
    rower63 wrote:

London-Red wrote:

Okay, thanks - apparently, this uses some flavour of Dedacciai tubing, but can't seem to work that one out either. From memory, I think he mentioned Dedacciai Fire, but could be wrong..

Which if you google...

1629.jpg

Or indeed:

http://road.cc/content/review/6378-condor-agio-tiagra
  • I saw him 5 mins after he left you in the shop. Suffice to say he was chuckling about how he'd persuaded you to go for it. The man is a bad influence !!!

To be fair, the frame looks nice though.
  • london-red
    :lol: I'm sure he was. Still, far less damaging than the Seven frame that was hanging next to it and winking at me suggestively so he probably did me a favour!

Elephant, thanks for the link. From what I've learned, which isn't much, this Billato dude built a number of frames for a number of OEMs, including, I think, Condor, although I could be wrong on that. The search continues...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Kona used the Dedacciai stuff as well. This is my son's, I think from 1995. Carbon fibre and steel.

29561641630_b22cd8e5e5_b.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    London-Red wrote:
    Evening all - so, does anyone know anything about Sigma frames?

I picked up the fine specimen below from the clearance sale because, well, CJ told me to, and now I'm in the midst of building her up. I've got to admit to always liking the carbon rear triangle look, so this baby has satisfied a long-standing, faint and totally irrational itch if I'm being honest. It will become an alternative to the Sunday best and used on the commute when I want more than one gear.

Anyway, I spoke to Jason at SS who said it was hand built in Italy, and from what I can tell this could be a framebuilder called Billato. Other than that, I assume it's aluminium, because of the fancy downtube treatment, but that's about it.

Any help to satisfy my inner nerd would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1922.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1924.jpg

Cheers

BIllato! That was it; that was the name I was told, not the other one beginning with B. Yep, apparently hand built in Italy.

You should get the Seven, too... :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • london-red
    Cheers CJ...

As for the Seven, there was no chance on earth it would have been approved by the wife. I'm surprised I managed to get out of there in one piece with the Sigma! Happy days though, because it's going to be a corker when built up.

Forks, headset, post and shim have now arrived. Just cables, brakes (If I'm tarty and don't use the beaten up Tiagra/105 mix that's in the shed), maybe saddle and maybe bars and tape to go.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    So, I'll ask that question - how much did you pay?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • london-red
    SecretSam wrote:

It had a tag on it for £100, but they were offering 10% further for the final weekend. Then one of the staff said he'd give it to me for £80, which they then took a further 10% off because we were getting a few other bits and bobs as well. So, £72 :twisted:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    London-Red wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

It had a tag on it for £100, but they were offering 10% further for the final weekend. Then one of the staff said he'd give it to me for £80, which they then took a further 10% off because we were getting a few other bits and bobs as well. So, £72 :twisted:

:shock: :D
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • london-red
    That's kind of what I thought..
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    £72!!!!!!!!!!! you were robbed my friend. Or they were. Bloody hell, that's a smashing deal.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Is that just the price you told the Mrs? Are you worried she'll check on here? ;-)
  • london-red
    :lol: She was with me when I bought it and even said she liked it. Win.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    That means its going to cost you more than £72.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    That's because she's tall enough to ride it, that bike will never be yours.