10 speed lockring with 11 speed cassette?

siddy1972
siddy1972 Posts: 180
edited September 2016 in Workshop
Hi all. Probably being over cautious, but before I wreck a very nice wheel, I think I should check...Am I ok to use a lockring for an ultegra 6700 cassette on a 6800 cassette? Both are 12 tooth, anything know anything I may have missed?

Comments

• mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    If they're both 12T then you can use it on either.
  • Turns out that the 10 speed lockring is a bigger diameter than the 11 speed. This means when I tighten it down, I don't get the usual clicks that the correct lockring would give. Does anyone know if these generic lockring a you can buy (token et al) are for 11 speed cassettes?
    Thanks.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    siddy1972 wrote:
    Turns out that the 10 speed lockring is a bigger diameter than the 11 speed. This means when I tighten it down, I don't get the usual clicks that the correct lockring would give. Does anyone know if these generic lockring a you can buy (token et al) are for 11 speed cassettes?
    Thanks.
    FTFY

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/toke ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • So I need an 11 tooth lockring even though my 6800 cassette is 12 tooth? From what I can work out (and I could be mistaken) it looks like the 6800 cassette has the same lockring in both 11 and 12 tooth flavours!