thursday, it said seize the day, pull the trigger, drop the blade, and watch the rolling heads

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,432
edited September 2016 in The bottom bracket
'ning

cafe, office, etc.

has anyone had tendonitis in the elbows? been going on since june, getting a bit tired of it, seeing physio tomorrow

may as well continue yesterday's song
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• Yes, I got it or something similar after rolling a load of huge rockery rocks in the garden.

Even chopping kindling brings it back and it's 13 years ago!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    G
    sungod wrote:
    'ning

cafe, office, etc.

has anyone had tendonitis in the elbows? been going on since june, getting a bit tired of it, seeing physio tomorrow

Have you tried a foam roller?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ^bike fit
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    sungod wrote:
    'ning

cafe, office, etc.

My better half. The physio didn't make much of an impact which resulted in a injection into the elbow itself which sorted the issue. If you'd like more details I'll ask.

alternstively I have heard numerous holidays, copious drinking of cocktails, beer and the local brews can cause issues with the elbow. I can highly recommend the use of a straw which negates elbow use, just remember a slight lift of the chin and eye contact with the waiter should ensure a fresh beverage, with straw. None of this arm raising like a pleb or Stevo wink:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    sungod wrote:
    'ning

cafe, office, etc.

Tennis ( outer) or golfers ( inner) I get golfers from time to time from Rock climbing really common in climbing. There's lots of info on UKBouldering in the training part of the forum.
    Stretching your elbow kneel on the floor both hands flat on the floor fingers pointing towards you straighten elbow joint.
    Using a dumbbell with weights just at one end or a hammer, rest forearm on knee lower weight down to side so your palm is facing up. Lift back up with other hand do 3 sets of 15.
    Also negative wrist curls rolling the weight down to the end of your fingers the lift back with other hand.
    These may make your elbow sore to start with but done every day should start to clear it up
  • seanoconn
    Webboo wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    'ning

cafe, office, etc.

Tennis ( outer) or golfers ( inner) I get golfers from time to time from Rock climbing really common in climbing. There's lots of info on UKBouldering in the training part of the forum.
    Stretching your elbow kneel on the floor both hands flat on the floor fingers pointing towards you straighten elbow joint.
    Using a dumbbell with weights just at one end or a hammer, rest forearm on knee lower weight down to side so your palm is facing up. Lift back up with other hand do 3 sets of 15.
    Also negative wrist curls rolling the weight down to the end of your fingers the lift back with other hand.
    These may make your elbow sore to start with but done every day should start to clear it up
    Chin ups aggregate my inner left elbow and pull ups aggregate my outer right. Can't win.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    One armed push-ups really make my arm hurt.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    seanoconn wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    'ning

cafe, office, etc.

Tennis...t up
    Chin ups aggregate my inner left elbow and pull ups aggregate my outer right. Can't win.

How come you're still a w@nker?

@SG - Well, you would indulge in extra long thread titles.

Must go, I am totally disgusted in the lack of sexist and seemingly misogynistic remarks and there's already been at least half a dozen posts.

Laters.

Oh BTW, it's a stunning but slightly chilly day and i'm off pedalling.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    drlodge wrote:
    One armed push-ups really make my arm hurt.

There's a Tommy Cooper sketch along those lines.
  • Pinno wrote:

Do some people not have jobs? You're almost as bad as guy I know who racks up about 10k miles per year, at the sniff of blue sky he's done 60 miles before you know it!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • webboo
    seanoconn wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    'ning

cafe, office, etc.

Pull ups are notorious for causing elbow problems. They were all the range in the 70's/ 80's for climbing training, most climbers from that era have f*cked elbows.
  • webboo
    Pinno wrote:

Do some people not have jobs? You're almost as bad as guy I know who racks up about 10k miles per year, at the sniff of blue sky he's done 60 miles before you know it!
    The big question is do I have another brew before I go for a ride.
  • seanoconn
    Webboo wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    'ning

cafe, office, etc.

Pull ups are notorious for causing elbow problems. They were all the range in the 70's/ 80's for climbing training, most climbers from that era have f*cked elbows.
    How do people train for rock climbing these days that doesn't put elbows under stress?
  • seanoconn
    Pinno wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    'ning

cafe, office, etc.

Tennis...t up

How come you're still a w@nker?
    I've never had a problem in that area. Have you ever seen the film 'The Natural'? That's like me, only my talent is for w@nking not baseball.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    Webboo wrote:

hmm, i was never serious climber but used to do those, also pull-ups hanging from an ice axe, finger joints aren't what they used to be either

guess i should be happy at least i'm getting old in reasonable condition, better than the alternative :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    I might have had it in my right elbow a while back but it just went away after a few months.

Ho hum, minion hunting is so time consuming but its better than real work. Think I'll treat myself to a drink tonight, but not too big in case it brings my tendonitis back :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Afternoon folks,
    Another slow start as I had to take the girl to physio, got in to a load of work again, all sorted now thankfully so I might try for a snooze. Aris is in tatters after the curry last night, but it was good fun. Need to pop into town on the way home to get stuff together for the lad's birthday so I took the old MTB, rode over something that flicked up into the back wheel and broke a spoke. Irritating.
    Onwards and upwards...
  • Tidied the workbench. Pulled weeds in back yard. Called it a day at that and had a whisky.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Ordered some stuff, both work and bike related.

Ride planned for tonight, 35km loop so nothing strenuous however I haven't ridden the thin wheeled machine since the 4th of the month so I'll no doubt struggle up't big 'ill.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    fat wheeled bike for me later
  • pinno
    Tidied the workbench. Pulled weeds in back yard. Called it a day at that and had a whisky.

Sounds like you're moving around a bit more?
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

In the same vein as Webboo: The question for me is 'Shall I have a second coffee before I go?' Other significant considerations are 'How much Haribo should I stuff in my back pocket?'.
  • tlw1
    TLW1 wrote:
    fat wheeled bike for me later

Didn't work out because of work meh, so I ended up running instead - nowhere near as much fun
  • webboo
    seanoconn wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    'ning

cafe, office, etc.

How do people train for rock climbing these days that doesn't put elbows under stress?
    By climbing on overhanging climbing walls or home boards. I have a 40 degree overhanging board in my garage which might be considered a bit light weight by some 50 is a bit more in vogue.Injury prevention by doing exercises like I described early plus lots of antagonistic exs such as press ups, benching, stretching or knowing a good physio.
  • Rode the ride, whoever said "slow and steady wins the race " was a delusional pillock!

Now chilling out with a beer and full control of the remote.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Went and got a few bits and bobs for the boy's birthday. Had a bit of a moment when reading an 18th birthday card that listed all the things he could now do legally, bloody hell he's only a boy.
    Had to laugh as I was riding back from work, passed a guy on a Spesh road bike in all the gear. He jumped on my wheel and took a tow until I turned off, but I was on an old MTB with fat trail tyres with mudguards, panniers and a silly plastic plane on the handlebars. To be fair he did go for the pass as I turned off, but he really should have passed well before that.
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Had to laugh as I was riding back from work, passed a guy on a Spesh road bike in all the gear. He jumped on my wheel and took a tow until I turned off, but I was on an old MTB with fat trail tyres with mudguards, panniers and a silly plastic plane on the handlebars. To be fair he did go for the pass as I turned off, but he really should have passed well before that.

Shouldn't you have posted that in the 'Silly Communter racing' thread? He took his life into his own hands there. Knowing what you eat on a Wednesday night, I wouldn't sit on your wheel for love nor money.
  • tlw1
    Pinno wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Shouldn't you have posted that in the 'Silly Communter racing' thread? He took his life into his own hands there. Knowing what you eat on a Wednesday night, I wouldn't sit on your wheel for love nor money.

It's more about the real ale
  • pinno
    I guess it's the combo TLW. Do you drink IPA with the curry VN? It would seem appropriate. Can you take President Rick out with you next week and show him a good time?
  • Pinno wrote:
    Tidied the workbench. Pulled weeds in back yard. Called it a day at that and had a whisky.

Sounds like you're moving around a bit more?
    It's a relative thing. There are 90 year olds in the retirement village my Mum lives in who do 5 times the amount of gardening in a day than I managed yesterday.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS