Turn your Strava ride into a movie

dhungerf
dhungerf Posts: 65
edited September 2016 in Road general
Has anyone tried this? I just signed up, the first ride looked pretty cool. It takes rour Strava ride information and overlays a moving line over the roads you took.

https://www.relive.cc/

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I like it .... its a visually appealing way of showing my missus I am not having an affair ... when I go out and come back covered in sweat, its because I have been working my arse off on a bike ! ..... seriously an affair ???? .... having another woman would seriously hamper my riding time ! .. and wear me out for the Strava PRs !

no no no no no !
  • A nice little tool, also like how the photos come up at the location taken.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    yeh really nice little thing. looked great riding in the alps a couple of weeks ago, just like the tdf stage previews. Would be nice to be able to download and reuse them elsewhere.
  • A nice little tool, also like how the photos come up at the location taken.

Yes, that's really neat.
  • Really cool.
    Just signed up
  • cgfw201 wrote:
    yeh really nice little thing. looked great riding in the alps a couple of weeks ago, just like the tdf stage previews. Would be nice to be able to download and reuse them elsewhere.
    This may be of some (limited) use
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/embed-relive-videos/

Edit: Also, this,
    http://prashanth.net/2016/08/relive-cc- ... magically/
    Chrome extension required
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I create rides for charity events and something like this has come along just at the right time to be able to show participants the routes. I was pulling what hair I have out trying to figure out how to get Google Earth tours to work. The only downside I see is that your own metrics will appear in the overlay unless there is a way of editing them out?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • This looks really good. Not sure what the business model is but hey....
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,928
    All this but Strava still can't (won't) sort out uploading photos to your ride from your PC.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Grahamsjz wrote:
    This looks really good. Not sure what the business model is but hey....

Business model is probably just to make something that gets bought out by Strava once people are using it. Good luck to them, it's quite neat.
  • Anyone have any luck with this yet?
    Still no video from the ride i did this morning :(
  • How long was your ride?
    Sometimes there is a delay (on occasion not received until the next day)

Today's ride I uploaded at 1230 was delivered 3 hours later
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've been using it a couple of months now.My 8 year old son has just got into road riding and we used it in France last month.He loves it!
    It does say on the website that rides at weekends can take longer to process.Sundays are the busiest day I find so I usually get it late Sunday night or early Monday morning.
  • Make sure it isn't tagged as a Commute in Strava
  • Videos have been taking longer to come in recently. Maybe they are getting too much demand?! Very neat though, a great way to show off a big ride!
  • Video came in this morning, really cool.
    My only gripe is that i wish it showed the place names as you go through them but i guess thats a google maps issue as it doesn't show the names if its zoomed out too far
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,452
    My last three weeks worth of rides have not yet come through! I've emailed them and await the response. I had this problem a few months back. Had to de-register then re-register. Not a major issue but it's a 'nice thing to have'

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• cgfw201 wrote:
    Up until recently there was a download link on the video page. Now you have to poke around in the page source... but the part you're looking for is about 15 lines from the top - the one that starts:
    <meta property="og:video" content="https://video.relive.cc/xxxxxxxxx_yyyyyyyyyyyy.mp4?x-ref=og">

If you paste the content part into your browser, Robert is your father's brother...

edit: or if you don't like poking around in page source... take your relive URL http://relive.cc/view/xxxxxxx and append "/mp4" to the end and it magically redirects to the content URL where you can get the MP4 video.
  • Where is my video? DO SOMETHING!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • If you upload as private by default, then Relive has issues in "seeing" your ride (at least that's what Yousef (one of the developers) told me when I asked). Also it seems to take 30-40 hours on a weekend for the ride to appear.
  • Veloviewer does something similar (you may have to have the "paid for" account - it's only a tenner)
    As usual with Veloviewer, you can play around with it a little - adjust viewing height and angle etc. No idea if you can download/link any of the rides though
  • deejaysee wrote:
    Video came in this morning, really cool.
    My only gripe is that i wish it showed the place names as you go through them but i guess thats a google maps issue as it doesn't show the names if its zoomed out too far
    I agree re the place names thing. I've seen a few of these rides done by my friends, and frankly (whisper it quietly), I've found them a bit boring. I can't tell where they have been, which roads they're on. I can't say to myself, "Oh yes, I remember that place" because I can't tell exactly where they are. If I've got a very good knowledge of the area they are riding in, I can make a fairly good stab at working it out, but this can be hard even then as the track moves fast and its easy to lose track of where they are. Without some kind of place name identification process, I can't really see the value of this.
  • topcattim wrote:
    deejaysee wrote:
    Video came in this morning, really cool.
    I agree re the place names thing. I've seen a few of these rides done by my friends, and frankly (whisper it quietly), I've found them a bit boring. I can't tell where they have been, which roads they're on. I can't say to myself, "Oh yes, I remember that place" because I can't tell exactly where they are. If I've got a very good knowledge of the area they are riding in, I can make a fairly good stab at working it out, but this can be hard even then as the track moves fast and its easy to lose track of where they are. Without some kind of place name identification process, I can't really see the value of this.

Agreed, novelty for all of 5 seconds
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles