Drivetrain Upgrade

veagnox
veagnox Posts: 77
edited October 2016 in MTB general
Hi guys, I'm nearly newbie here, so need your help. I got CUBE Analog 27.5 (2015) nearly 3 months ago but now I'm disappointed about it's drivetrain mechanism. They mixed everything (Alivio Cassette, Altus Shifter, Deore Rear Derailleur) so mechanism not working as good as I expected. Now I want to upgrade my 3x9 drivetrain to 1x11 or 2x10 but need some information at the point I'm total dumb about (Hubs). My bike has "Altus FH-RM33" rear hub and 9-speed "Alivio CS-HG200" cassette on it. Can I install 1x11 (SLX-M7000 series with "CS-M7000" cassette) or 2x10 (SLX-M670/675 series with "CS-HG81-10" cassette) mechanism on this hub? Have some trouble about understanding some facts, so I want to ask those questions :

1) Does any fact matter when I want to install 7/8/9/10/11 speed cassette on hub (something like hub length)? I mean is there any specification that shows that I can install only specific cassette on hub?

2) If answer to my first question is "yes", and if there is specification like hub length that allows me to install maximum of 10-speed cassette, then how I can upgrade to 11-speed even with changing hub? I mean if my bike has specific length between left and right seatstay, how the longer hub can fit to my bike?

Sorry for long post and bad English, hope some of you got my questions and will reply soon

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    10 and 11 speed mountain bike cassettes will fit. Road cassettes are wider, and Sram XD cassettes need a different freehub body, but other than that, you're fine.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    any shimano MTB 8,9,10,11sp cassettes will fit your hub. There isn't a huge price difference between some of the SLX stuf and XT.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    10 and 11 speed mountain bike cassettes will fit. Road cassettes are wider, and Sram XD cassettes need a different freehub body, but other than that, you're fine.

Hi and thanks for reply. That answers my question. Thanks a lot
    POAH wrote:
    any shimano MTB 8,9,10,11sp cassettes will fit your hub. There isn't a huge price difference between some of the SLX stuf and XT.

Hi and thanks for reply. That answers my question. Thanks a lot
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    ...don't discard 1x10 option either. A lot cheaper than 1x11 and in my opinion - having both - not much difference.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The mix of drivetrain components you currently have shouldn't cause an issue. I expect any problems you are encountering are just poor setup - what exactly is the problem?
  • veagnox
    FishFish wrote:
    ...don't discard 1x10 option either. A lot cheaper than 1x11 and in my opinion - having both - not much difference.

Hi and thanks for reply. After this post I made a little research and I was thinking the same. Because most of the people saying "if you're not XC racer, but beginner, you will not need more than 1x10". So probably I will go with 1x10
    The mix of drivetrain components you currently have shouldn't cause an issue. I expect any problems you are encountering are just poor setup - what exactly is the problem?

Hi and thanks for reply. Casette is not a problem. But when shifter and derailleur are not same model, it makes huge difference. We tested it on nearly 6 bikes. Even if derailleur and shifter are both 9 speed, it must be same exact model to shift perfectly. And I want to answer your question "what exactly is the problem?". The answer is, even professionals tuned my derailleur and cable tension, but just because it's deore RD and altus shifter, it works worse than altus RD and altus shifter on my friends' bikes
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's nonsense. Your friend's bike may be different, or set up differently, but the mech doesn't know what model of shifter is being used, and vice versa.
    They might not work better, but won't be any worse.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    A shifter and rear mech from different manufacturers may not work (e.g. SRAM shifter with Shimano rear Mech) but components from the same manufacturer will work fine.
    Have a look at a few bike specs and you'll see how many have components from a single manufacturer but different model ranges. My bike has an SLX rear mech and XT shifters. They work fine.

A company like Cube wouldn't make the mistake of kitting out a bike with components that won't work together. Your problem is either down to poor set up or you have a damaged or misaligned shifter or rear mech.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • veagnox
    cooldad wrote:
    That's nonsense. Your friend's bike may be different, or set up differently, but the mech doesn't know what model of shifter is being used, and vice versa.
    They might not work better, but won't be any worse.

Hi and thanks for reply. We have same bikes (Cube Analog 27.5 2015 model) and my friend also had bad shifting with stock rear shifter. He upgraded shifter to Deore and now it works perfectly. I know that Deore shifter with Deore derailleur MUST shift better than Altus shifter with Deore derailleur, just because Deore is better than Altus. But the problem is, my other friend has Cube Aim 27.5 (same company/same geometry/nearly same components) but with Altus shifter and Altus derailleur and the shifting in that bike was far better than mine. And I want to mention that we bought bikes from same store and same technician looks out for problems of our bikes
  • veagnox
    JBA wrote:
    A shifter and rear mech from different manufacturers may not work (e.g. SRAM shifter with Shimano rear Mech) but components from the same manufacturer will work fine.
    Have a look at a few bike specs and you'll see how many have components from a single manufacturer but different model ranges. My bike has an SLX rear mech and XT shifters. They work fine.

A company like Cube wouldn't make the mistake of kitting out a bike with components that won't work together. Your problem is either down to poor set up or you have a damaged or misaligned shifter or rear mech.

Hi and thanks for reply. I was thinking the same before facing this problem. I know that components from same manufacturer works normally, but the only thing I'm saying that it not works as good as it must. For example poor RD with poor shifter works better than normal RD with poor shifter or vice versa. At least in my bike model me and my friend both tested it and faced it
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I'm going to go with set up problem or dirty drive chain/cable.

It should still shift fine, with a lower spec shifter and higher spec rear mech, shifting might feel like the lower spec, but the pull ratios are the same, bar spring stiffness, cable tension and general set up, barrel adjusters, limit screws, bent hangar etc.

Thinking about it, could the deore mech have stiffer springs, and the lower spec shifters make it feel more effort, are the deore shifters better at moving a deore mech due to being higher quality? Just a thought.

But you've not said what the shifting problem is, is it reluctant to shift up/down, does it over shift and jump gears, does it rattle/skip when in gear?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As above, those parts can and will work fine together.

When you say the Deore shifter must shift better you are are wrong, why must it? It may feel a bit more precise but the mech at the rear will shift just fine if set up right, same as Deore will shift poorly if set up wrong.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.