Winter Bike - torn

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited October 2016 in Commuting chat
So I'm torn as to what to buy for my new n+1. I want discs, 'guards but still reasonably "sporty"

So: with my C2W certificate, and the bargains of September, I can either get a Pinnacle Dolomite 5 disc
https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-dolomite-5-2016-road-bike-EV244121

Or a Genesis Equilibrium 20 disc:

http://www.londonbicycleworkshop.com/95 ... black.aspx

The Pinnacle has hydro discs, which are better, but otherwise they are similar - so torn!

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    I just got one of these through C2W (and through this shop too). I swapped out the knobblies for Conti 4 Seasons and some Chromoplastics. It's ace.

http://www.c6bikes.co.uk/2016-Boardman- ... tail/3-216
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    SecretSam wrote:
    So I'm torn as to what to buy for my new n+1. I want discs, 'guards but still reasonably "sporty"

So: with my C2W certificate, and the bargains of September, I can either get a Pinnacle Dolomite 5 disc
    https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-dolomite-5-2016-road-bike-EV244121

Or a Genesis Equilibrium 20 disc:

http://www.londonbicycleworkshop.com/95 ... black.aspx

The Pinnacle has hydro discs, which are better, but otherwise they are similar - so torn!

Have you ridden them both?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • secretsam
    HamishD wrote:
    I just got one of these through C2W (and through this shop too). I swapped out the knobblies for Conti 4 Seasons and some Chromoplastics. It's ace.

http://www.c6bikes.co.uk/2016-Boardman- ... tail/3-216

Aaarggghhhhh!! Choice

But that's more money...Argh

• My first road bike was a none disc Equilibrium 20 and it's been fantastic - would definitely get another Genesis
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I'd want full hydraulics if buying a new bike now, but I suspect the Genesis may be nicer to ride. Try them both and get the one you prefer.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    The Genesis does look nice! But the spec on that Pinnacle for the price is very good indeed (except wheels probably).
  • secretsam
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'd want full hydraulics if buying a new bike now, but I suspect the Genesis may be nicer to ride. Try them both and get the one you prefer.

Aargh and it's available for less than £1000

I agree that non-hydraulic discs are a pain, but they are hybrid- next best thing - and rest of spec is better plus it's steel...hmmmmm...and it takes bigger volume tyres than the Pinnacle, the wheels are (slightly) better and so is the chainset...hmmmmm

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Assuming they have your size, i'd be more inclined to get this Pinnacle:
    https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ar ... e-EV244109

Loads more tyre clearance, which means studded tyres are an option for icy days. Looks like the other pinnacle would be too tight on clearances.

There's some decent deals on 2016 GT Grade's out there too:
    http://cycletowork.wiggle.co.uk/gt-grad ... road-bike/

I appreciate the looks are marmite but all the reviews I've read seem pretty glowing.

The Giant Defy Advanced can be had at fairly cyclescheme friendly prices if you want something properly sporty-
    http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant ... Nxx6101733

I doubt it has mudguard fittings, but it'll feel a lot quicker than most of the others. Spyre's are great brakes, and no Hydraulic witchcraft is involved.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Why don't you get this for another £100 notes.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-do ... e-EV244122

Ultegra shifters and hydraulic disc brakes, Shimano 105 chainset and better wheels.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • veronese68
    SecretSam wrote:
    I agree that non-hydraulic discs are a pain, but they are hybrid- next best thing
    I've got hybrid cable hydraulics with a converter under the stem. They work really well and after the initial faff with getting them working (it was an ex demo set up that had been butchered) they have been brilliant. Bit I still find myself wanting full hydraulic, just not badly enough to pay the difference. If I bought the Genesis that would bother me.
    However, before buying my Kinesis I tried whatever model of Pinnacle CX bike there was at the time and it just didn't feel that nice to ride. It just felt kind of dead if that makes sense. Could have been just the wheels or tyres but I didn't like it. Tried a Croix de Fer and it felt much nicer, but was heavy. That's why I suspect the Genesis will be the nicer bike to ride.
    I'm not helping am I?
    Buy the Genesis and keep your eye peeled for discounted shifters and brakes. You'll be able to sell the cable shifters and brakes to offset some of the cost.
  • get the cheapest one with hydro discs then ditch the heavy standard wheels and treat yourself to something lighter - will massively improve most bikes!!

assuming you like to blast away from the lights and so on. if not then weight is much less of an issue
  • secretsam
    edited September 2016
    get the cheapest one with hydro discs then ditch the heavy standard wheels and treat yourself to something lighter - will massively improve most bikes!!

assuming you like to blast away from the lights and so on. if not then weight is much less of an issue

I weigh 95kg. I ride a 54cm. 100g on the wheels probably isn't really the issue here... :lol:

I kind of understand the CX flavours on offer, but am really after a road bike - I have a MTB for the occasional foray off road...

• twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I have had a Boardman CX with BB7 Cable discs. Awful. Sold it sharpish.

Also had a Dolan with the hybrid mechnical/hydro discs. I was not expecting much but was impressed. Still didn't feel right but it was a compromise. Problem for me was I still MTB and come from MTB so know and expect what discs should feel like.

I have recently picked up a Focus Cayo Disc AL which has 105 Hydraulics and they are pretty awesome. Very happy. Odd lever shape. But my hand works fine with them.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    get the cheapest one with hydro discs then ditch the heavy standard wheels and treat yourself to something lighter - will massively improve most bikes!!

I weigh 95kg. I ride a 54cm. 100g on the wheels probably isn't really the issue here... :lol:

3/4/500g is a massive issue though - I have experience!! (and am not that much lighter).Depends how heavy the standard wheels are though, and your style of riding
  • secretsam
    SecretSam wrote:

3/4/500g is a massive issue though - I have experience!! (and am not that much lighter).Depends how heavy the standard wheels are though, and your style of riding

Am thinking the only way to do this is to test both. And then decide.

• Well, I guess I'm your man for this one. I replaced my Equilibrium with the Dolomite 5 in January :)

You're right in thinking they're similar. James Olsen, the designer of the original Equilibrium went to work for Pinnacle a while back where he designed the Dolomite.

The Dolomite is one of the nicest bikes I've ridden, waaay lighter than the Equilibrium (by a couple of kilos), even with a dynamo wheel and lights mine's only 10.6 Kg and that's in XL. Comfort-wise I was impressed with the Dolomite as with a decent carbon seatpost it's up there with the Equilibrium. Then there's the brakes, obviously. Disc brakes are far and away better than rim brakes in the wet, in the dry they're superb, but the difference in the wet is astounding.

So far I've replaced the seatpost (for a carbon one), wheels (dynamo front and tarty, matching rear), Saddle (the stock one is awful).

Stock wheels were 1968g (and are on eBay currently), so not light, but not massively heavy.
  • veronese68
    Sounds like the Pinnacle is a lot better than the one I tried then.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Sounds like the Pinnacle is a lot better than the one I tried then.

I'm certainly very pleased with it, I overlook the CR1 quite a lot to take it instead. They seem to have improved a lot over the past few years from what I can gather, with Evans trying to turn them into a brand which needs a lot less discounting.

Definitely try both, obviously.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    UndercoverElephant what's the sizing like? The small has an eTT of 545 which is the same as my bikes that are around the 54/medium size.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • secretsam
    drlodge wrote:
    UndercoverElephant what's the sizing like? The small has an eTT of 545 which is the same as my bikes that are around the 54/medium size.

It's same for both - both say size small for a 54. Pinnacle is a proper compact frame, whereas Genesis is a semi-compact.

• SecretSam wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

It's same for both - both say size small for a 54. Pinnacle is a proper compact frame, whereas Genesis is a semi-compact.

The top tube does seem quite long on them, but the shorter reach on the bars means it seems less in reality. I get the XL in most bikes, but I did need a larger layback seatpost for the geometry of this one to give the exact fit I needed.
  • secretsam
    SecretSam wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

The top tube does seem quite long on them, but the shorter reach on the bars means it seems less in reality. I get the XL in most bikes, but I did need a larger layback seatpost for the geometry of this one to give the exact fit I needed.

I guess I'd just go for a 54 small.

• SecretSam wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

I guess I'd just go for a 54 small.

Dunno. When I was looking at the size charts, I was thinking about a large - when I tried the large it felt cramped. XL much better.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The issue I'd see if I went for a 545 small is the short headtube, which means a big saddle to bar drop. These frames seem to have a very long top tube, which is why I'm confused by UndercoverElephant's post's. If anything, these frames should feel stretched out, not cramped.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • secretsam
    I've got the Genesis price matched at £850 :shock:

Reckon I'll order one on C2W and go from there

• secretsam
    n+1 ordered - I went for the Pinnacle in the end, although I could get the Genesis cheap, the lower weight and hydro discs swung it for me. Plus I love the colour :lol:

• SecretSam wrote:
    n+1 ordered - I went for the Pinnacle in the end, although I could get the Genesis cheap, the lower weight and hydro discs swung it for me. Plus I love the colour :lol:

Welcome to the club! 8)
  • secretsam
    Welcome to the club! 8)

LOL, thanks. Am quite excited. Already considering purchase of new wheels to replace stock (as they are likely to be heavy) and am going to try a different saddle (Charge Spoon, everyone else seems to love it!).