26" Winter Studded Tyres choice

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited September 2016 in Commuting general
Right, Decision made.

My "completely knackered" XC MTB (viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=13070181) is going to be put to use as a zero/sub zero winter hack for the upcoming season as it currently stands with as little outlay as possible. I'm thinking of spending £40 on a set of studded tyres and a rear mudguard - last year I had a number of almost offs due to black ice on the back roads, and the really cr@p days I got lifts in - that's not an option this year. That way, if I do have an off, I really don't mind an additional scratch on the frame either.

CRC has a Schwalbe Snow Stud MTB in 26" for £16 each, which look like a bargain - I'm interested in getting to and from work safely, not getting there at high speed.

For similar money, are there any other recommendations?

BTW - Is anyone else wondering about winter this early? Or is it just me, and my stupid planning/listing/scout "be prepared" head?
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Snow Studs will be fine as will anything else with studs, and I doubt you'll'll find anything cheaper than that. If you do it's most likely to be on one of the German sites like Starbike.
    If I remember rightly the Snow Studs are the type that you can blow up harder to have more rubber on the road, or let out a bit soft to get the studs to bite. Useful adjustment.
    I'm looking to replace the Nokian studs on my winter CX - they've done three winters now, certainly into the 1000s of miles, and don't grip like they used to.

And as for your last question... in Scotland, we're always thinking about winter: there have been frosts up country even before September arrived...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    BTW - Is anyone else wondering about winter this early? Or is it just me, and my stupid planning/listing/scout "be prepared" head?

Get prepared off season whilst it's cheaper; I've just bought some jerseys for next summer.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Cheers.
    Looked at the unstudded marathon road winters etc, which I think i'll get for the road bike, and have ordered the snow stud's for the MTB.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...