Mayfair Commuting

j_mcd
j_mcd Posts: 473
edited September 2016 in Commuting chat
I'm going to be based in Mayfair for a bit and am wondering about the best way of getting there from the South East.

I'd normally come along Kings Road from Fulham and then swing down Edith Grove and onto the embankment to head out to wharf so I guess I could either

1. continue up Kings Road
2. go around the Embankment and up Vauxhall Bridge Road

Both of which will get me to Hyde Park corner.

Any better ideas/great solutions. I'm aiming for St Georges St which is just south of Oxford Circus.
Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
Planet X London Road - Wet
Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days

Comments

• My advice is just to make sure that you miss the super tax square after Park Lane
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    South east where and to where in Mayfair roughly? I'm in Mayfair atm, coming from Beckenham but the rest rather depends on where from and to.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • j_mcd
    Sorry, meant the South West. Anyway, for those that are interested, I went my normal route along the Embankment up to Parliament Square, then up Whitehall and up onto Regents Street.

Seemed to work OK but there is a LOT of traffic lights once you're past Whitehall.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    J_MCD wrote:
    Sorry, meant the South West. Anyway, for those that are interested, I went my normal route along the Embankment up to Parliament Square, then up Whitehall and up onto Regents Street.

Seemed to work OK but there is a LOT of traffic lights once you're past Whitehall.

That's the way I used to go to Oxford Circus. I didn't manage to find anything better tbh. On the way back I'd come down Park Lane, Belgrave Square Garden, Eton Square, Sloan Square, Royal Hospital Road, Embankment.

You might be able to work that backwards. I never bothered because I was north of Oxford Street and Whitehall / Regent Street is better than Wigmore Street for traffic. Obviously, in an evening Piccadilly is best avoided which is why I headed fro Park Lane.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I used to go over Hammersmith Bridge, up Kensington High Street and through Hyde Park.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    J_MCD wrote:
    Sorry, meant the South West.

Ahhh well, I used to come from Twickenham too.

I used to do Kings Road, Sloane Sq, Eaton Sq, Grosvenor Place, Hyde Park Corner, Picadilly. I think the viability of the route is all down to timing. I always hit the Kings Road between 7 and 7.30. At that time the route was fine - quiet even after Edith Grove where everyone turns off. Grosvenor Place and Hyde Park Corner are big and seemingly scary but in reality not so much as long as you have half a brain.

On the way back (just after 5.30) Kings Road (before Edith Grove) was frequently busy but never as sketchy as the last part of Embankment.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • j_mcd
    MrSweary wrote:
    I used to do Kings Road, Sloane Sq, Eaton Sq, Grosvenor Place, Hyde Park Corner, Picadilly.

That route looks quite interesting, might be a little bit short though and, due to fatness, I think I need to keep up the distance a bit!

Going home is another kettle of fish as I just have to get to Waterloo to jump on a train so it should be fairly straight forward.
  • Possibly to far north for you but I used to get to Oxford Circus via Putney Bridge then usually the Kings Road. After the Embankment turn off it gets quieter. I go North near the museums and into Hyde Park, there is now a cycle superhighway segregated bit that goes over the serpentine and along North Carriageway Drive. From Marble Arch you are on your own... North Carriageway drive gets closed wen there are large events on so you get squeezed onto the shared use pavement. It is OK if you are considerate to peds and cyclists coming the other way.

I did use Fulham road for a bit when I was fed up with idiots on the Kings Road in the spring.

I did try South Carriageway Drive and up the cycle track alongside Park Lane but it it is too busy and too many idiots.