Pull out folding bike storage

oliverb
oliverb Posts: 67
edited September 2016 in Commuting general
I am renovating my old kitchen including replacing an old wood/glass wall with a new stud wall. I decided to build in a hidden folding bike store into the new stud wall to house my Brompton.

brompton_storage.gif

The Brompton store is built into a modified 800mm kitchen base cabinet in the adjoining kitchen.

The cabinet is fitted with a sideways mounted drawer runner that is accessed via a hole cut into the side of the cabinet.

The cabinet is positioned next to a stud wall with the studs built around the cabinet opening so the drawer can be pulled out through the wall to access the bike.

The remaining space inside the cabinet is blanked off hiding the bike and allowing the cabinet to be used or kitchen items.

The cabinet is wide enough for a Brompton Bike fitted with SPD pedals.

cupboard03.png

There is also a storage rack built from 2 IKEA MOPPE cabinets for tools, tubes etc fixed to the back of the pull out drawer.

Drawer01.png

Here is the view from the kitchen showing the 800mm cabinet in place waiting for the new kitchen to be built around it. The cabinet is shown with an old set of doors and a temporary worktop/breakfast bar in place.

Brompton_cabinet.jpg

There are more details on my site here http://home.btconnect.com/brettoliver1/Brompton_Hidden_Wall_Storage/Brompton_Wall_Cupboard.htm

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Oh that's nice. Well done.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Genius.
  • That's a brilliant idea.
    I assume you only keep it there when dry?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Yeah best to let your bike dry off first.

You could always leave some SILICA GEL desiccant in a small tray inside the cabinet and or vent the kick board and top of the false back of the cabinet to let any moisture out.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    That is awesom !!!!
  • I love the idea of the moppe units as well, good cheap way of doing it.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...